#1   Report Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2007
Location: South Wales
Posts: 2,409
Default Rain, Rain, Rain

Well we are now into the first of 4 days of rain that has been
forecast for us here just outside Swansea,
Last night brought us 1 1/2 inches of rain and it's still p...ing
down.
They were forecasting 4 to 5 inches over 4 days but if it keeps this
up I can see us getting well over 6 inches.
David

  #2   Report Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 361
Default Rain, Rain, Rain

In message
, Dave
Hill writes
Well we are now into the first of 4 days of rain that has been
forecast for us here just outside Swansea,
Last night brought us 1 1/2 inches of rain and it's still p...ing
down.
They were forecasting 4 to 5 inches over 4 days but if it keeps this
up I can see us getting well over 6 inches.
David

According to the BBC snow falls in inches rain falls in mm :-)
--
hugh
"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, Or who said it, Even if
I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own
common sense." Buddha
  #4   Report Post  
Old 12-01-2011, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2011
Posts: 6
Default Rain, Rain, Rain

If you think that is heavy rain, have a look at the Queensland rainfall of
the last two weeks.

I believe the Australia wide drought has ended.

--
Di
I'm creative! You can't expect me to be neat too.
Vic Australia

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
...
Well we are now into the first of 4 days of rain that has been
forecast for us here just outside Swansea,
Last night brought us 1 1/2 inches of rain and it's still p...ing
down.
They were forecasting 4 to 5 inches over 4 days but if it keeps this
up I can see us getting well over 6 inches.
David



  #5   Report Post  
Old 13-01-2011, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2007
Location: South Wales
Posts: 2,409
Default Rain, Rain, Rain

On Jan 12, 9:38*pm, "DiMa" wrote:
If you think that is heavy rain, have a look at the Queensland rainfall of
the last two weeks.

I believe the Australia wide drought has ended.

--
Di
I'm creative! *You can't expect me to be neat too.
Vic Australia

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

...



Well we are now into the first of 4 days of rain that has been
forecast for us here just outside Swansea,
Last night brought us 1 1/2 inches of rain and it's still p...ing
down.
They were forecasting 4 to 5 inches over 4 days but if it keeps this
up I can see us getting well over 6 inches.
David- Hide quoted text -


- Show quoted text -


Well another wet day over with another 1 1/4 inches added, not as much
as forecast.
I was supprised to hear a thrush singing yesterday afternoon despite
the rain, and this morning we have quite a few birds starting to warm
up for the dawn chorus.
David Hill


  #6   Report Post  
Old 13-01-2011, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2007
Location: South Wales
Posts: 2,409
Default Rain, Rain, Rain

On Jan 13, 12:11*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 2011-01-13 09:38:52 +0000, Dave Hill said:





On Jan 12, 9:38 pm, "DiMa" wrote:
If you think that is heavy rain, have a look at the Queensland rainfall o

f
the last two weeks.


I believe the Australia wide drought has ended.


--
Di
I'm creative! You can't expect me to be neat too.
Vic Australia


"Dave Hill" wrote in message


....


Well we are now into the first of 4 days of rain that has been
forecast for us here just outside Swansea,
Last night brought us 1 1/2 inches of rain and it's still p...ing
down.
They were forecasting 4 to 5 inches over 4 days but if it keeps this
up I can see us getting well over 6 inches.
David- Hide quoted text -


- Show quoted text -


Well another wet day over with another 1 1/4 inches added, not as much
as forecast.
I was supprised to hear a thrush singing yesterday afternoon despite
the rain, and this morning we have quite a few birds starting to warm
up for the dawn chorus.
David Hill


It's much warmer here, though wet and gloomy. *However, the birds seem
quite flirtatious and so do the two squirrels I saw scampering up our
young mulberry tree this morning. *Two pairs of blackbirds were
slugging it out on the front lawn, too. *It's quite a large lawn so why
they have to try to forage and fight within 6' of each other, or less,
I do not know!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


Why will 2 women fight over one item in a sale when they are in a shop
full of clothes?
  #7   Report Post  
Old 13-01-2011, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,959
Default Rain, Rain, Rain



"Dave Hill" wrote in message
...
On Jan 13, 12:11 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 2011-01-13 09:38:52 +0000, Dave Hill
said:





On Jan 12, 9:38 pm, "DiMa" wrote:
If you think that is heavy rain, have a look at the Queensland rainfall
o

f
the last two weeks.


I believe the Australia wide drought has ended.


--
Di
I'm creative! You can't expect me to be neat too.
Vic Australia


"Dave Hill" wrote in message


...


Well we are now into the first of 4 days of rain that has been
forecast for us here just outside Swansea,
Last night brought us 1 1/2 inches of rain and it's still p...ing
down.
They were forecasting 4 to 5 inches over 4 days but if it keeps this
up I can see us getting well over 6 inches.
David- Hide quoted text -


- Show quoted text -


Well another wet day over with another 1 1/4 inches added, not as much
as forecast.
I was supprised to hear a thrush singing yesterday afternoon despite
the rain, and this morning we have quite a few birds starting to warm
up for the dawn chorus.
David Hill


It's much warmer here, though wet and gloomy. However, the birds seem
quite flirtatious and so do the two squirrels I saw scampering up our
young mulberry tree this morning. Two pairs of blackbirds were
slugging it out on the front lawn, too. It's quite a large lawn so why
they have to try to forage and fight within 6' of each other, or less,
I do not know!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


Why will 2 women fight over one item in a sale when they are in a shop
full of clothes?

.................................................. ...................................

I expect they were two males exercising their territorial rights :-)

Seen it dozens of times

Mike

--

....................................
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive
....................................




  #8   Report Post  
Old 13-01-2011, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,069
Default Rain, Rain, Rain


On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 06:31:28 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

Well we are now into the first of 4 days of rain that has been
forecast for us here just outside Swansea,
Last night brought us 1 1/2 inches of rain and it's still p...ing
down.
They were forecasting 4 to 5 inches over 4 days but if it keeps this
up I can see us getting well over 6 inches.
David


We may bemoan the rain and lackof sunshine, but our reservoir, Chew
Valley Lake is very low, much lower than it has been for several years
even in so-called summer. We do meed the rain here.
I think you have had more in S Wales, David.

Pam in Bristol
  #9   Report Post  
Old 13-01-2011, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 361
Default Rain, Rain, Rain

In message , Pam Moore
writes

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 06:31:28 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

Well we are now into the first of 4 days of rain that has been
forecast for us here just outside Swansea,
Last night brought us 1 1/2 inches of rain and it's still p...ing
down.
They were forecasting 4 to 5 inches over 4 days but if it keeps this
up I can see us getting well over 6 inches.
David


We may bemoan the rain and lackof sunshine, but our reservoir, Chew
Valley Lake is very low, much lower than it has been for several years
even in so-called summer. We do meed the rain here.
I think you have had more in S Wales, David.

Pam in Bristol

It's been a very dry year overall. We've been recording rainfall etc as
a hobby for the last 15 years and this is by far the driest.

United Utilities (AKA north West Water) are talking about hose pipe ban
shortly if the lakes and reservoirs don't fill up.
--
hugh
"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, Or who said it, Even if
I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own
common sense." Buddha
  #10   Report Post  
Old 14-01-2011, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2007
Location: South Wales
Posts: 2,409
Default Rain, Rain, Rain

On Jan 13, 7:44*pm, hugh ] wrote:
In message , Pam Moore
writes





On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 06:31:28 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:


Well we are now into the first of 4 days of rain that has been
forecast for us here just outside Swansea,
Last night brought us 1 1/2 inches of rain and it's still p...ing
down.
They were forecasting 4 to 5 inches over 4 days but if it keeps this
up I can see us getting well over 6 inches.
David


We may bemoan the rain and lackof sunshine, but our reservoir, Chew
Valley Lake is very low, much lower than it has been for several years
even in so-called summer. *We do meed the rain here.
I think you have had more in S Wales, David.


Pam in Bristol


It's been a very dry year overall. We've been recording rainfall etc as
a hobby for the last 15 years and this is by far the driest.

United Utilities (AKA north West Water) are talking about hose pipe ban
shortly if the lakes and reservoirs don't fill up.
--
hugh
"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, Or who said it, Even if
I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own
common sense." Buddha- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


In this part of Wales we realy do get more than our fair share of
rain, Swansea is the wetest city in the UK http://www.welshicons.org.uk/html/water.php,
We are 400 ft above Swansea and get a lot more rain as the clouds are
lifted over us to over 1000 ft so we get a lot of extra rain
yesterday was just 0.95 inches.
When I first moved here we had around 60 inches a year then around 10
years ago we went up to 80 inches and have stayed around that ever
since.
David Hill


  #11   Report Post  
Old 14-01-2011, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2009
Posts: 349
Default Rain, Rain, Rain



"Dave Hill" wrote in message
...
In this part of Wales we realy do get more than our fair share of
rain, Swansea is the wetest city in the UK
http://www.welshicons.org.uk/html/water.php,
We are 400 ft above Swansea and get a lot more rain as the clouds are
lifted over us to over 1000 ft so we get a lot of extra rain
yesterday was just 0.95 inches.
When I first moved here we had around 60 inches a year then around 10
years ago we went up to 80 inches and have stayed around that ever
since.
David Hill



Which leads me nicely to my favourite hobby-horse.

There is more than enough rainwater catchment in the UK to satisfy demand.
We have a gas grid and a power grid - but very short- sightedly, no water
grid.

We have also not invested enough in additional water storage facilities.

Too expensive - some would argue, but I would disagree.

There will certainly come a time when surplus water will be economically
exportable.
Financial returns from this, would go someway towards recompensing the grid
costs.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

  #12   Report Post  
Old 14-01-2011, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,959
Default Rain, Rain, Rain


"Pete" wrote in message
...


"Dave Hill" wrote in message
...
In this part of Wales we realy do get more than our fair share of
rain, Swansea is the wetest city in the UK
http://www.welshicons.org.uk/html/water.php,
We are 400 ft above Swansea and get a lot more rain as the clouds are
lifted over us to over 1000 ft so we get a lot of extra rain
yesterday was just 0.95 inches.
When I first moved here we had around 60 inches a year then around 10
years ago we went up to 80 inches and have stayed around that ever
since.
David Hill



Which leads me nicely to my favourite hobby-horse.

There is more than enough rainwater catchment in the UK to satisfy demand.
We have a gas grid and a power grid - but very short- sightedly, no water
grid.

We have also not invested enough in additional water storage facilities.

Too expensive - some would argue, but I would disagree.

There will certainly come a time when surplus water will be economically
exportable.
Financial returns from this, would go someway towards recompensing the
grid costs.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com



Thought the same thing many many times.

And as more rain falls in the North than the South, pumping will not be
required as it is all downhill ;-}

Mike



--

....................................
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive
....................................




  #13   Report Post  
Old 14-01-2011, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 361
Default Rain, Rain, Rain

In message , Pete
writes
There is more than enough rainwater catchment in the UK to satisfy demand.
We have a gas grid and a power grid - but very short- sightedly, no
water grid.

Ah the benefits of hindsight.
There's never been sufficiently large enough problem top justify the
expenditure. Maybe the economic balance is beginning to change. Building
a water grid is much more expensive and difficult than either an
electric or gas grid. There was an interesting program on TV recently on
the history of the national electricity grid. I remember attending a
Faraday lecture on the subject back in the early 60s.
--
hugh
"Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, Or who said it, Even if
I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own
common sense." Buddha


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RAIN SOUND RAINING RAIN RAINY RAINING SOUND RAIN RAINY Kulin Remailer Gardening 1 19-05-2011 03:42 PM
RAIN SOUND RAINING RAIN RAINY RAINING SOUND RAIN RAINY Kulin Remailer Gardening 2 19-05-2011 09:24 AM
Rain, Rain, Rain Dave Hill United Kingdom 15 07-07-2009 11:24 AM
Rain, Rain, Rain Dave Hill United Kingdom 0 06-07-2009 09:01 PM
Rain...Rain....Rain David Hill United Kingdom 47 02-01-2004 02:51 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017