Old 28-01-2011, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Default Hi im new :-) and fairly new to gardening :-S

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:17:44 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 23:35:44 GMT, Tom wrote:

wrote in :
In article ,
Martin wrote:

Tell us about your tricks, Nick? I am sick of supermarket tricks :-)

I did. zx8 = 8x7 = 7x(4+4) = 7x7 = 10*7-3*7 and more. Also using
factorisation, so 44x75 = 11*(4*25)*3. Make a habit of that sort
of thing, and you will soon develop your own collection.

Also, using iteration (usually binary chop or interpolation) to do
division, square and cube roots etc.

Make a habit of such tricks and you will soon develop your own
suite. But mental arithmetic is no longer taught.

Watching my daughter grow up over the past 20 years
was interesting in this regard. Yes, the rote learning
of multiplication has been "deemphasised", but she
was also taught that there are several ways to get
the right answer to arithmetic problems. This has
the advantage that examples such as yours weren't
ignored and were taught (at least in the limited
sense of examples of how to solve an specific question).

In that sense, I greatly *approve* of the "new" teaching
methods.

On the other hand, lack of knowing the
"algorithmic" techniques for long multiplication and
division mean that she wouldn't have a clue how to
start coding multiple-precision arithmetic routines

I've commented elsewhere about primary teachers not
knowing what 1+2*3 is, and on the disappearance of
calculus from GCSE/O-level maths

Calculus was first year A level maths and not GCE maths in the 1950s.

It must have depended on the board, then. Oxbridge joint board set
"Elementary" and "Additional" maths as separate subjects: calculus was
in "Add Maths". Of course schools may have varied in the way they
programmed things.

--
Mike.
Old 28-01-2011, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:44:05 +0000, Mike Lyle wrote:

It must have depended on the board, then. Oxbridge joint board set
"Elementary" and "Additional" maths as separate subjects: calculus was
in "Add Maths". Of course schools may have varied in the way they
programmed things.

I did Oxford GCE maths in 1956. I have no recollection of it being called
Elementary Maths, nor is "elementary" mentioned on the actual certificate.

It wasn't called that, even in the 1960s, but that's what it was.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-01-2011, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Given how a lot of UK work is now farmed out to India to get it done on the
cheap (see call centres + IT work for the obvious examples), I can see there
being a call for Indian languages.

But aren't they supposed to be speaking English to the English
customers that call them? There might be a small number of jobs for
English people who would need to speak local languages for training
purposes but not to an overwhelming degree, it seems to me.

Just because they're supposed to speak English, doesn't mean things aren't
easier if you have another common language between you.

Old 29-01-2011, 12:24 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] View Post
At least the certificates were worth something.
A pity that most people didn't even have the opportunity to study for them.
__________________

Old 30-01-2011, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

wrote in
:

Tom wrote:
fat free sour cream I could possibly comprehend, but ... /egg/ free
omlettes?? My ghast is flabbered.

So was mine, to the extent that I almost ordered some
just to see what they were like. But I didn't, since
the eggs benedict were so nice

To be fair, I've had vegan 'scrambled egg' before, which I hated - not
beause of the texture, but because they piled tumeric into it. Noidea
why, it's not as if you tumericise your scrambled egg normally! (do
you?)

Probably the same reason that Quorn is processed to have
the texture (but not flavour) of soft chicken breast.

Personally I prefer "honest" ingredients, not "faux" ingredients.
Old 30-01-2011, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Martin wrote in
:
Calculus was first year A level maths and not GCE maths in the 1950s.

I've just checked my certificate, a tatty piece of fanfold paper.
I took University of London O-level maths syllabus d in 1972.

The teachers chose that syllabus (presumably not a nor b nor c)
since it contained calculus. The calculus was limited to
integration and differentiation of polynomials excluding 1/x
Old 30-01-2011, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tom" wrote in message
6.253...
"Bill Grey" wrote in
:

"Tom" wrote in message
6.253...
wrote in :
I've commented elsewhere about primary teachers not
knowing what 1+2*3 is, and on the disappearance of
calculus from GCSE/O-level maths

The Calculus was never part of "O" level maths in 1952 unfortunately.

Maybe, maybe not.

In 1974 it was on some, but certainly not all, syllabuses
(syllabi?

When doing A-level double maths, we did many questions from
past papers back to the early '50s. We felt the questions
from those papers were more difficult than those from the
more recent exams.

All of which is another reason why I'm loathe to presume
that there is necessarily a wholesale dumbing down of content.

I feel that training everywhere has been dumbed down. I did my Radio and
Radar Training in the Royal Navy in 1958 and it was very deep. I was given a
conducted tour of the Royal Navy's Radio and Radar Training facilities at
the Maritime Warfare School at H.M.S.Collingwood earlier on last year and
things are certainly easier, BUT, it has to be because the technical content
now is to a certain degree, 'identify the PCB which is faulty and chuck it'.
I was with one of the Officers who is one of the Radar Lecturers the other
night at a function and I raised this chuck it syndrome and he explained
that with the manufacture of the boards being so complex, they cannot be
repaired. Fortunately, the training is deep enough to at least identify what
and where.

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 30-01-2011, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

"'Mike'" wrote in
news

"Tom" wrote in message
6.253...
"Bill Grey" wrote in
:

"Tom" wrote in message
6.253...
wrote in :
[...]

Find-n-replace-the-PCB seems like a very sensible procedure

Are you Mike Crowe?

Old 30-01-2011, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tom" wrote in message
6.253...
"'Mike'" wrote in
news

"Tom" wrote in message
6.253...
"Bill Grey" wrote in
:

"Tom" wrote in message
6.253...
wrote in :
[...]

:-))

I do have that honour :-))

Old 30-01-2011, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 3,
Tom wrote:
wrote in
:

To be fair, I've had vegan 'scrambled egg' before, which I hated - not
beause of the texture, but because they piled tumeric into it. Noidea
why, it's not as if you tumericise your scrambled egg normally! (do
you?)

Probably the same reason that Quorn is processed to have
the texture (but not flavour) of soft chicken breast.

I regard that sort of supermarket chicken as loathesome in itself.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-01-2011, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

You may call me Beatrice! ;-)

IRTA 'You may call me Beetroot!'

--