Old 31-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydie-pink View Post
We have moved house last september and have a faily dececnt sized front and back garden (Both of wich need alot of work!).
I started clearing the back before the bad snow hit us (pulling out brambles, weed spraying, digging what will be the rockery over and lineing a patch i was hopeing to start with).
I spent an afternon in the garden this week lobbing the tops off grass (growing between the paveing slabs) putting together what will be either a veggy patch or deep border (not decided what to put were yet really) and just tidying up alittle (hopeing to get out there later today too if the weather holds off!).
I also had abit of a play about on the yard area by my back door as i wanted some colour not a scrap of mud that was there before (we made a small raised ish border) my winter flowering plants have now died back and spring bulbs are pokeing through.
Sorry if my post is long i just want to give an idea of what i am working with (basicly a garden thats mostly paving slabs :-().
Sounds like you've done a lot. Welcome to the forum! I haven't been on here for very long and haven't been into gardening for all that long too. Good luck with your endeavours
__________________
Bat Boxes - Help Your Local Bat Friends
Chimineas | Parasols | Garden Benches | Garden Furniture Covers
Old 31-01-2011, 05:35 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Hinge[_2_] View Post
kay wrote:

What do you mean by "it worked"?

Do you mean "everybody could multiply relatively small numbers together
in their heads" or do you mean"everybody had a good understanding of
percentages, differentials, risk and the other concepts that are
necessary in order to make decisions in everyday life"?

What has that to do with learning your 'times' tables?
What for you is the purpose of learning times tables by rote? I thought it was to enable one to multiply relatively small numbers together in your head, but I may be missing something.
__________________
Old 07-02-2011, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hi im new :-) and fairly new to gardening :-S

Sacha wrote:

My husband lived in Essex during the war and he has memories much like
yours. He recalls the vapour trails and rat-a-tat-a-tat. He was born
in 1933 and his (much) older brothers, being in reserved occupations,
were in the fire brigade and went up to London on many, many nights to
fight fires caused by the Blitz. He has several memories of planes over
his rural bit of Essex. You two should meet one day -I'll supply the
amber liquid!

When I was at bawdy school and walking n the Downs (in a crocoodile!)
with the rest of the kids, I unforget seeing a lumpy line of black puffs
of smoke marching across the sky, and a big red flash.

This was followed by the Boom-boom-boom-boo-boo-boom as the Bofors
opened-up in Newhaven-ish, then the
crud-crud-crud-crud-crud-crud-*THUD!* of things going off over the
Channel. I claimed the hit (doodle-bug) for my stepfather-to-be, who was
OIC a battery in Newhaven-ish.

What seemed like five minutes late the sound of the explosion ame
grumpity-bumpity-grOWl-thud-thud-thud, reflected off the French coast.

An early lesson in the speed of sound.

--
Rusty