Old 24-01-2011, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hi im new :-) and fairly new to gardening :-S

"Pete" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

I doubt the gender of the poster is germane to the original question but
fwiw, I was taught to use 'he' or 'him' if in doubt and I'm unlikely to
change the habits of a lifetime now!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

To save others having to scuttle to their Chambers's like I had to --
germane = relevant.

Considering that the op has not mastered the basics of some more commoner
words
of the English language.
eg
appoligies.
concreat
dececnt
etc

Perhaps replies using obscurer words, are inadvisable in this thread (:-)

Pete

Youre a fine one!

"More commoner", "obscurer",...indeed!..:-)

Bill

Old 24-01-2011, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-23 17:36:16 +0000, "Bill Grey"

On 2011-01-22 12:25:01 +0000, floydie-pink
said:

We have moved house last september and have a faily dececnt sized
front
and back garden snip

This is a British centred gardening group so we may not be able to help
you in any sensible fashion. Where you have a 'yard', we have
gardens.
I hope this helps you to find a group that might be of more use to you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I believe people had "yards" before "patios", buying a "yard brush"
gives a
hint. Do you buy patio brushes these days - you know the big ones with
the
stiff bristles.

Bill

We have those large headed brooms here, if that's what you mean, Bill.
To me a patio is a paved terrace. I thought a 'yard' was where you had
e.g. the outside lav, the clothes line, the coal shed or log store etc.
It was paved or concrete so that feet didn't get wet going to do the
essentials!! Now - shall we get to helping this poor OP (I do hope that's
pc enough) with his or her questions? S/He must think s/he's wandered
into a madhouse!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

You are right of course, but my point was , we had yards before patios and
the name carried on.
A back yard, susally shortened to "the back" is what we had when I was a
kid, and of course no patio.

Bill

My parents had an hotel and the 'back yard' was the bit outside the kitchen
door between two parts of the hotel, later built over to enlarge the
kitchen.

The back garden was concreted over for car and coach parking.

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 24-01-2011, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete wrote:

Now there is a good test for my fellow workers later this morning.
Germane = ?

If they are no wiser when you tell them it means pertinent, I
should give up.

Personally, I like to use interesting language when I can, and
used to be constantly surprised by the limited vocabulary of some
of my colleagues, all of whom were qualified to at least degree
standard.

If you can't use or understand the subtleties of the language,
how is it possible to convey your thoughts effectively?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 24-01-2011, 12:34 PM
floydie-pink's Avatar
Registered User

Location: south yorkshire

Hi i do indeed have a coal shed, suppose i could be seen as common, have terrible spelling (and my spell check has gone somewere i dont know how to get it back????).
And i am a she.
Hahaha Am i mad enough to join the madness??
Old 24-01-2011, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote in
:

Considering that the op has not mastered the basics of some more
commoner words
of the English language.
Pete

More commoner words?
In my day when we were taught English that would have been "more
common words"
Commoner - A member of the common people

And this "Pete" fellow had the cheek to pull me up with my spelling!
Just as well it/he/she is in my plonk/killfile.
I bet these long winter nights are made shorter in its house because of the
spellbinding wit and bullish leadership it thinks it has.

Baz

Old 24-01-2011, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message ...

Dave Hill wrote in
:

More commoner words?
In my day when we were taught English that would have been "more
common words"
Commoner - A member of the common people

And this "Pete" fellow had the cheek to pull me up with my spelling!
Just as well it/he/she is in my plonk/killfile.
I bet these long winter nights are made shorter in its house because of the
spellbinding wit and bullish leadership it thinks it has.

Baz

"Commoner" ---- good word unless used in the wrong place as could be caused
by
imbibing excess Chardonnay -Soave mixture, late at night !
I truly forgot to test my colleagues on the meaning of the "g" word this
morning.

Regards
Pete
Nanneys Bridge (plant) Nursery

Old 24-01-2011, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"floydie-pink" wrote in message

Hi i do indeed have a coal shed, suppose i could be seen as common, have
terrible spelling (and my spell check has gone somewere i dont know how
to get it back????).
And i am a she.
Hahaha Am i mad enough to join the madness??

--
floydie-pink

Perhaps too mad (:-(

Sacha's male default mode fails again !

Perhaps you will divulge your real name next (:-)

Regards
Pete

Old 24-01-2011, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

floydie-pink wrote in
:

Hi i do indeed have a coal shed, suppose i could be seen as common, have
terrible spelling (and my spell check has gone somewere i dont know how
to get it back????).
And i am a she.
Hahaha Am i mad enough to join the madness??

Please don't judge all of us.

I am from North Lincs. and understand.

There are some people here in this group who like, and take delight in
putting down us "northerners", but they are just ignorant.
We have something more than they have and they know it.
Hang in here floydie. We may hear something comfortably........

Baz

Old 24-01-2011, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 24, 4:22*pm, Baz wrote:
floydie-pink wrote :

Hi i do indeed have a coal shed, suppose i could be seen as common, have
terrible spelling (and my spell check has gone somewere i dont know how
to get it back????).
And i am a she.
Hahaha Am i mad enough to join the madness??

Please don't judge all of us.

I am from North Lincs. and understand.

There are some people here in this group who like, and take delight in
putting down us "northerners", but they are just ignorant.
We have something more than they have and they know it.
Hang in here floydie. We may hear something comfortably........

Baz

I do not agree that any "putting down" in this group is based on
geographical location.
Speaking as a fellow northerner that is (:-)

Regards
Pete
Old 24-01-2011, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete" wrote in message
On Jan 24, 4:22 pm, Baz wrote:
floydie-pink wrote
:

Hi i do indeed have a coal shed, suppose i could be seen as common, have
terrible spelling (and my spell check has gone somewere i dont know how
to get it back????).
And i am a she.
Hahaha Am i mad enough to join the madness??

Please don't judge all of us.

I am from North Lincs. and understand.

There are some people here in this group who like, and take delight in
putting down us "northerners", but they are just ignorant.
We have something more than they have and they know it.
Hang in here floydie. We may hear something comfortably........

Baz

I do not agree that any "putting down" in this group is based on
geographical location.
Speaking as a fellow northerner that is (:-)

Regards
Pete

.................................................. .....................

No, I have found the putting down is on where you are on the Social Ladder

Old 24-01-2011, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

'Mike' wrote:
I do not agree that any "putting down" in this group is based on
geographical location.
Speaking as a fellow northerner that is (:-)

No, I have found the putting down is on where you are on the Social Ladder

Interesting. Maybe someone can post a venn diagram of which social groups
people in the ng are suspected of being in.
(and then everyone can beware the knock on the door!)

Old 24-01-2011, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

'Mike' wrote:
I do not agree that any "putting down" in this group is based on
geographical location.
Speaking as a fellow northerner that is (:-)

No, I have found the putting down is on where you are on the Social
Ladder

Interesting. Maybe someone can post a venn diagram of which social
groups people in the ng are suspected of being in.
(and then everyone can beware the knock on the door!)

What is a venn diagram?

Baz
Old 24-01-2011, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
wrote in
:

'Mike' wrote:
I do not agree that any "putting down" in this group is based on
geographical location.
Speaking as a fellow northerner that is (:-)
No, I have found the putting down is on where you are on the Social
Ladder

Interesting. Maybe someone can post a venn diagram of which social
groups people in the ng are suspected of being in.
(and then everyone can beware the knock on the door!)

What is a venn diagram?

Baz

and to have to ask 'that' question, ............................. well ;-}

Old 24-01-2011, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in
news

"Baz" wrote in message
wrote in
:

'Mike' wrote:
I do not agree that any "putting down" in this group is based on
geographical location.
Speaking as a fellow northerner that is (:-)
No, I have found the putting down is on where you are on the Social
Ladder

Interesting. Maybe someone can post a venn diagram of which social
groups people in the ng are suspected of being in.
(and then everyone can beware the knock on the door!)

What is a venn diagram?

Baz

and to have to ask 'that' question, ............................. well
;-}

Mike

Yes, and we were getting along so well in English too.

Baz
Old 24-01-2011, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jake wrote:

To clear up all the confusion, I offer the following copy and paste
from Wikipedia:

"Venn diagrams or set diagrams are diagrams that show all
hypothetically possible logical relations between a finite collection
of sets (aggregation of things). Venn diagrams were conceived around
1880 by John Venn. They are used to teach elementary set theory, as
well as illustrate simple set relationships in probability, logic,
statistics, linguistics and computer science (see logical
connectives)."

I think that explains things perfectly and simply and should serve to
end all further argument.

Ha, ha, very ironic! The first sentence is complete crap. They
show the 'inclusion' type relationships only.

It's a bad description, anyway. They are the overlapping circles
(or other shapes) that are often used to illustrate set membership.
The area in circle A but not in B represents the elements that
have propert A but not property B, and the area in the overlap
represents the ones that have both properties. And so on.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.