Old 24-01-2011, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hi im new :-) and fairly new to gardening :-S

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:37:33 GMT, Baz wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in
news

"Baz" wrote in message
wrote in
:

'Mike' wrote:
I do not agree that any "putting down" in this group is based on
geographical location.
Speaking as a fellow northerner that is (:-)
No, I have found the putting down is on where you are on the Social
Ladder

Interesting. Maybe someone can post a venn diagram of which social
groups people in the ng are suspected of being in.
(and then everyone can beware the knock on the door!)

What is a venn diagram?

Baz

and to have to ask 'that' question, ............................. well
;-}

Mike

Yes, and we were getting along so well in English too.

Baz

Good to see you back after your absence Baz.

To clear up all the confusion, I offer the following copy and paste
from Wikipedia:

"Venn diagrams or set diagrams are diagrams that show all
hypothetically possible logical relations between a finite collection
of sets (aggregation of things). Venn diagrams were conceived around
1880 by John Venn. They are used to teach elementary set theory, as
well as illustrate simple set relationships in probability, logic,
statistics, linguistics and computer science (see logical
connectives)."

I think that explains things perfectly and simply and should serve to
end all further argument.

(I think Vicky was being tongue in cheek when she posted).

I will now wait for someone to explain the explanation to me (and no
doubt someone else will be able to explain the explanation of the
explanation).

Meanwhile, I'm going off-toipic to calculate how many shopping days
are left until Christmas.

Cheers

Jake

Old 24-01-2011, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"floydie-pink" wrote in message

Hi i do indeed have a coal shed, suppose i could be seen as common, have
terrible spelling (and my spell check has gone somewere i dont know how
to get it back????).
And i am a she.
Hahaha Am i mad enough to join the madness??

--
floydie-pink

The "pink" is surely a clue but neither I nor anyone else picked it up :-)

Bill

Old 24-01-2011, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
wrote in
:

'Mike' wrote:
I do not agree that any "putting down" in this group is based on
geographical location.
Speaking as a fellow northerner that is (:-)
No, I have found the putting down is on where you are on the Social
Ladder

Interesting. Maybe someone can post a venn diagram of which social
groups people in the ng are suspected of being in.
(and then everyone can beware the knock on the door!)

What is a venn diagram?

Baz

Those of us of a certain age wold not have come across these mystical
designs.

But then I remember "times tables" :-)

Bill

Old 24-01-2011, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:03:04 +0000 (GMT), wrote:

In article ,
Jake wrote:

To clear up all the confusion, I offer the following copy and paste
from Wikipedia:

"Venn diagrams or set diagrams are diagrams that show all
hypothetically possible logical relations between a finite collection
of sets (aggregation of things). Venn diagrams were conceived around
1880 by John Venn. They are used to teach elementary set theory, as
well as illustrate simple set relationships in probability, logic,
statistics, linguistics and computer science (see logical
connectives)."

I think that explains things perfectly and simply and should serve to
end all further argument.

Ha, ha, very ironic! The first sentence is complete crap. They
show the 'inclusion' type relationships only.

It's a bad description, anyway. They are the overlapping circles
(or other shapes) that are often used to illustrate set membership.
The area in circle A but not in B represents the elements that
have propert A but not property B, and the area in the overlap
represents the ones that have both properties. And so on.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Laughing continues. Now I await someone who will explain the
explanation! This could really get interesting (though totally
off-topic; the definition of "on-topic" being the bit in the middle
which indicates the overlap between A, B and (of course) C).

Though I do wonder what the diagram would do if we introduced a
property "D". No need to answer that question - it's rhetorical
(assuming that's the word I'm thinking of). Work that one out ;-))

Jake
Old 24-01-2011, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 21:03:05 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"floydie-pink" wrote in message

Hi i do indeed have a coal shed, suppose i could be seen as common, have
terrible spelling (and my spell check has gone somewere i dont know how
to get it back????).
And i am a she.
Hahaha Am i mad enough to join the madness??

--
floydie-pink

The "pink" is surely a clue but neither I nor anyone else picked it up :-)

Bill

Some of us merely assumed a fellow Pink Floyd enthusiast and couldn't
justify assuming anything more. These days you have to be careful!

Before I hit a (brick) wall I'm off to the Dark Side .....

Jake

Old 24-01-2011, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Baz
writes
wrote in
:

'Mike' wrote:
I do not agree that any "putting down" in this group is based on
geographical location.
Speaking as a fellow northerner that is (:-)
No, I have found the putting down is on where you are on the Social
Ladder

Interesting. Maybe someone can post a venn diagram of which social
groups people in the ng are suspected of being in.
(and then everyone can beware the knock on the door!)

What is a venn diagram?

Those diagrams, usually of overlapping circles, to illustrate
which/who/what is a member of particular sets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram
--
Chris French

Old 24-01-2011, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

"floydie-pink" wrote in message

Hi i do indeed have a coal shed, suppose i could be seen as common, have
terrible spelling (and my spell check has gone somewere i dont know how
to get it back????).
And i am a she.
Hahaha Am i mad enough to join the madness??

--
floydie-pink

The "pink" is surely a clue but neither I nor anyone else picked it up :-)

Bill

Some of us merely assumed a fellow Pink Floyd enthusiast and couldn't
justify assuming anything more. These days you have to be careful!

Before I hit a (brick) wall I'm off to the Dark Side .....

Jake- Hide quoted text -

Last time I came accross this much Bull Shit it was spread over a veg
patch waiting to be dug in.
Old 24-01-2011, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:
"Baz" wrote in message
.. .

What is a venn diagram?

Those of us of a certain age wold not have come across these mystical
designs.

But then I remember "times tables" :-)

Well, yes. But it depends more on your level of education than
your age - after all, I have my doubts that you completed your
schooling before 1880 :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-01-2011, 11:04 PM
floydie-pink's Avatar
Registered User

Location: south yorkshire

Atleast im not the only crazed one out there, Pink Floyd that it is .

Think of the diagram in the colour chart each of the 3 colours overlap in the center, the center is the colour they all make and so the thing they all have in comon is they are needed to make sed colour. Add a 4th colour and you are left with a center colour and 3 outa colours that putting 2 of the 4 colours together will make.
(Have i confused anyone yet? not as dumb as i seam)
Old 25-01-2011, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jake wrote:
"Venn diagrams or set diagrams are diagrams that show all
hypothetically possible logical relations between a finite collection
of sets (aggregation of things). Venn diagrams were conceived around
1880 by John Venn. They are used to teach elementary set theory, as
well as illustrate simple set relationships in probability, logic,
statistics, linguistics and computer science (see logical
connectives)."

I think that explains things perfectly and simply and should serve to
end all further argument.

(I think Vicky was being tongue in cheek when she posted).

:-)

I will now wait for someone to explain the explanation to me (and no
doubt someone else will be able to explain the explanation of the
explanation).

It's one of those diagrams that looks like someone has put a bunch of coffee
mugs down on a sheet of paper, and all the people go in the circles. So the
coffee stain is 'people who are posh' and the tea stain is 'people who own
chickens' and the bit where the tea and coffee stains overlap is the posh
people who own chickens. And people outside both drink stains are people
who aren't posh and don't have chickens.
Then you can put a beer bottle down to make another circle that is 'people
who microwave their pork pies' and it can overlap the other 2 circles, and
you need to move all the people to their correct position again.

It's the sort of thing you do at school cos it's sort of fun, but if you
need to use it outside of school you're probably in the wrong job!

Old 25-01-2011, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bill Grey wrote:
But then I remember "times tables" :-)

My 7 year old came home with homework last week where he had to learn his 2
times table. Which was interesting, because although he knew the maths and
the numbers, he had no concept of the whole "no twos are zero, one two is
two, etc" phrasing/chanting of it.

Old 25-01-2011, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-25 08:57:46 +0000, said:

Bill Grey wrote:
But then I remember "times tables" :-)

My 7 year old came home with homework last week where he had to learn his
2
times table. Which was interesting, because although he knew the maths
and
the numbers, he had no concept of the whole "no twos are zero, one two is
two, etc" phrasing/chanting of it.

When I was about 4 or 5 I went to a small school where we used to chant
our tables first lesson every morning. I know it's considered the 'wrong
way' now (or is it?) but that method certainly made the tables stick in
the mind. To this day, I recall my tables easily.
--
Sacha

I went to a Private School and they were very hot on the 3 x 'R's from a
very early age. Later, and as I had no desire to go into the Hotel business
like my parents, I went for an interview for an Apprenticeship as a Marine
Electrical Engineer During the interview I was asked 'What are your Maths
like?' 'Good I suppose', 'What are 7 x 8's?' and before he had finished I
flashed '56'. I always remember that because I surprised myself as to just
how fast I was able to recall it!!!!

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 25-01-2011, 12:31 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I will now wait for someone to explain the explanation to me
I can never resist the temptation to try to explain maths!

Draw a circle to represent spring flowers (snowdrops, daffodils, winter flowering cherry, violets etc). Draw another circle, overlapping the first, to represent bulbs. The area which is inside both circles will contain this like snowdrops and daffodils - spring flowering bulbs. The rest of the second circle will have bulbs like leucojum which don't flower in the spring. The rest of the first circle will have violets and other spring flowers which aren't bulbs. The outside will have flowers which are neither spring flowering nor bulbs.

Or you could draw two circles, one inside the other, to represent "All cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti".

They're useful to help visualise more complicated relationships than I've described, and usually with more than two circles needed. They were university stuff wen I was taught maths, but my children did them in primary school.
__________________
Old 25-01-2011, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:

What is a venn diagram?

Those of us of a certain age wold not have come across these mystical
designs.

But then I remember "times tables" :-)

Well, yes. But it depends more on your level of education than
your age - after all, I have my doubts that you completed your
schooling before 1880 :-)

It somtimes feels like that :-)

I left Grammar School in 1952 and there had been no mention of Venn diagrams
at that time.

Nor when I left a (dire) public school in 1965. However, I do have
a degree in mathematics ....

On the matter of multiplication tables, I didn't learn mine until
I was well into my teens, and 7x8 was always my bugbear - however,
I could work out the answer fast enough that the teachers never
realised, so I never got punished for it (sic). 7x8 = 2 x 7x4
or 7x8 = 7x7 + 7.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-01-2011, 12:34 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grey View Post

The "pink" is surely a clue but neither I nor anyone else picked it up :-)
I referred to her as "she" in my post , then when the gender discussion started, I wondered why I'd been so sure she was a she. I'd like to say I picked up clues from her writing style, but I think I probably just picked up the "pink"