Old 27-01-2011, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hi im new :-) and fairly new to gardening :-S

On 2011-01-27 10:19:28 +0000, "Bill Grey" said:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:22:15 -0000, "Bill Grey"

wrote:

Nick says people can use a calculator, but I have yet to see anybody
doing this
in a supermarket, for example. Our two kids did arithmetic using a
calculator
at school. I don't think they even own one nowadays.

If you can't learn tables and can't learn the mathematical tricks,
then any sane person would buy one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It's no great encumberance to learn the times table at an early age -
it
can
only help in future years.
There maybe more than one way to skin a cat, but it doesn't hurt to
have
more than one string to your bow.

Children at the age that times tables were taught could readily absorb
the
information, why deny them such a wonderful experience of learning a
technique that could serve them well in their future
lives.

They can also absorb new languages at the same age.
--

Martin

Definitely !

Bill

Yes, I've always thought it a big mistake that schools wait so long to
introduce a foreign language into the curriculum. I started learning
French when I was 4 and while no way am I fluent, I speak fairly well for
a foreigner. I just don't remember actually learning verbs because we
started so young and I was very lucky to have good French teachers at all
the schools I went to.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I spoke Welsh long before I was formerly tought Welsh. Funnily, it was
then the trouble starrted.
The difference between colloquial Welsh and grammatical or literary Welsh
was a bit traumatic. The differences were slight, the pronunciation
sometimes, and learning the correct word as opposed to a word distorted by
collquialism in another ( eg in English innit as opposed to isn't it, or is
it not)

Bill

Old 27-01-2011, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Bill Grey wrote:
There maybe more than one way to skin a cat, but it doesn't hurt to have
more than one string to your bow.

Skinning a cat with a bow seems a cruel and unnecessary approach

The cat gut comes in handy though.

Bill

Old 27-01-2011, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-27 11:41:15 +0000, said:

The boys' primary school have introduced French, the boys both got Spanish
and Urdu (!) sessions when at nursery.

Spanish is much useful if they get a choice at any point! Not sure how
widely spoken Urdu is!

Don't bet on it! Urdu and Hindustani are very closely related and
are the native languages of a large chunk of India and most of
Pakistan.

I think that's LONG overdue - I would have introduced it 20-30 years
ago in relevant places, and got the English and Urdu speakers (I mean
children) to teach each other. Yes, I know that would have created
a weird composite, but so what? English is already one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-01-2011, 05:24 PM
jasmin101's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Medan

planting herb is the most i love, it is easy and useful, we are now making use most of herb in the garden as a supplement for our health especially our grand ma as she need more care, our neighbour get helped with this type of mostly-herb-garden, what a wonderful life sharing with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydie-pink View Post
We have moved house last september and have a faily dececnt sized front and back garden (Both of wich need alot of work!).
I started clearing the back before the bad snow hit us (pulling out brambles, weed spraying, digging what will be the rockery over and lineing a patch i was hopeing to start with).
I spent an afternon in the garden this week lobbing the tops off grass (growing between the paveing slabs) putting together what will be either a veggy patch or deep border (not decided what to put were yet really) and just tidying up alittle (hopeing to get out there later today too if the weather holds off!).
I also had abit of a play about on the yard area by my back door as i wanted some colour not a scrap of mud that was there before (we made a small raised ish border) my winter flowering plants have now died back and spring bulbs are pokeing through.
Sorry if my post is long i just want to give an idea of what i am working with (basicly a garden thats mostly paving slabs :-().
__________________
Just wanna share things across my mind especially gardening, landscape, lawn turf and more.
cheers
jasmine | seo services
Old 27-01-2011, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
The boys' primary school have introduced French, the boys both got Spanish
and Urdu (!) sessions when at nursery.

Spanish is much useful if they get a choice at any point! Not sure how
widely spoken Urdu is!

I think Urdu is probably the 2nd language of the area of London their
nursery was in, hence the choice. It was only a short intro. Actually, I
think they had French for a term, too, cos Daniel came home one day shouting
"ooh la la!"

Old 27-01-2011, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
But it would help if more than 20% of primary school
teachers knew the answer to "what is one plus two time three".

My answer would be "do you mean one plus two-times-three, or one-plus-two
times three?"

Do I win an apple?

Are you the teacher?

Well, I seem to agree with the majority. :-P

Seriously, you can't claim only 20% 'got it right', as asking where the
brackets are is a perfectly reasonable (and imho, much more sensible
response than assuming there are none) question. Brackets are very hard to
hear in spoken questions. (I assume it was a spoken question - if it was
written it would be a slightly different matter)
Old 27-01-2011, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

wrote in :
In article ,
Martin wrote:

Tell us about your tricks, Nick? I am sick of supermarket tricks :-)

I did. zx8 = 8x7 = 7x(4+4) = 7x7 = 10*7-3*7 and more. Also using
factorisation, so 44x75 = 11*(4*25)*3. Make a habit of that sort
of thing, and you will soon develop your own collection.

Also, using iteration (usually binary chop or interpolation) to do
division, square and cube roots etc.

Make a habit of such tricks and you will soon develop your own
suite. But mental arithmetic is no longer taught.

Watching my daughter grow up over the past 20 years
was interesting in this regard. Yes, the rote learning
of multiplication has been "deemphasised", but she
was also taught that there are several ways to get
the right answer to arithmetic problems. This has
the advantage that examples such as yours weren't
ignored and were taught (at least in the limited
sense of examples of how to solve an specific question).

In that sense, I greatly *approve* of the "new" teaching
methods.

On the other hand, lack of knowing the
"algorithmic" techniques for long multiplication and
division mean that she wouldn't have a clue how to
start coding multiple-precision arithmetic routines

I've commented elsewhere about primary teachers not
knowing what 1+2*3 is, and on the disappearance of
calculus from GCSE/O-level maths
Old 27-01-2011, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

wrote in
:

Martin wrote:
But it would help if more than 20% of primary school
teachers knew the answer to "what is one plus two time three".

My answer would be "do you mean one plus two-times-three, or
one-plus-two times three?"

Do I win an apple?

Are you the teacher?

Well, I seem to agree with the majority. :-P

Seriously, you can't claim only 20% 'got it right', as asking where
the brackets are is a perfectly reasonable (and imho, much more
sensible response than assuming there are none) question. Brackets
are very hard to hear in spoken questions. (I assume it was a spoken
question - if it was written it would be a slightly different matter)

Sorry, no cigar, nor apple.

There is a single correct answer without brackets.
Old 27-01-2011, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

"Bill Grey" wrote in
:

"Tom" wrote in message
.253...
Martin wrote in
:

In real life being able to instantly recall a product is better than
knowing how to derive it from scratch.

And much better than either is knowing how and
when to use/apply it, and to use the right tool
to get the correct answer.

Try solving a quadratic equation using the "formla" method, oh damn! -
you've forgotten the formula (shame)

Now use the "completing the square" logical method.- no formulae
involved.

Nice to kow how it really is done.

But that is less trivial for x^2 + x + 1
Old 27-01-2011, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

wrote in
:

Tom wrote:
I like* things like '75% fat free' ... meaning 25% fat? Eyww.

To digress, in California you can get egg-free omlettes and
fat-free sour cream. I have a container of the latter, but
couldn't figure out how to preserve and transport the former.

fat free sour cream I could possibly comprehend, but ... /egg/ free
omlettes?? My ghast is flabbered.

So was mine, to the extent that I almost ordered some
just to see what they were like. But I didn't, since
the eggs benedict were so nice

Old 28-01-2011, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tom" wrote in message
6.253...
wrote in :
I've commented elsewhere about primary teachers not
knowing what 1+2*3 is, and on the disappearance of
calculus from GCSE/O-level maths

The Calculus was never part of "O" level maths in 1952 unfortunately.

Bill

Old 28-01-2011, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Tom wrote:
fat free sour cream I could possibly comprehend, but ... /egg/ free
omlettes?? My ghast is flabbered.

So was mine, to the extent that I almost ordered some
just to see what they were like. But I didn't, since
the eggs benedict were so nice

To be fair, I've had vegan 'scrambled egg' before, which I hated - not
beause of the texture, but because they piled tumeric into it. Noidea why,
it's not as if you tumericise your scrambled egg normally! (do you?)
Old 28-01-2011, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
I take your point but in the past, languages were taught because they
were useful in diplomacy or commerce. French is the language of
diplomacy and Spanish is spoken in large tracts of the trading world.
I don't know if that's the case with Urdu or Hindustani so I don't know
if those languages will be useful in a modern child's business life.

Given how a lot of UK work is now farmed out to India to get it done on the
cheap (see call centres + IT work for the obvious examples), I can see there
being a call for Indian languages.
Old 28-01-2011, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
But it would help if more than 20% of primary school
teachers knew the answer to "what is one plus two time three".

My answer would be "do you mean one plus two-times-three, or one-plus-two
times three?"

Do I win an apple?

Are you the teacher?

Well, I seem to agree with the majority. :-P

Seriously, you can't claim only 20% 'got it right', as asking where the
brackets are is a perfectly reasonable (and imho, much more sensible
response than assuming there are none) question. Brackets are very hard to
hear in spoken questions. (I assume it was a spoken question - if it was
written it would be a slightly different matter)

I agree with you.

It wasn't me who made the claim. Whoever it was has been snipped.

Apologies, it was my over-zealous snipping, but I did think it was you.
Apparently (from another branch of the thread), it was Tom.
Congratulations, I've merged you with another poster. :-)
Old 28-01-2011, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Tom wrote:
But it would help if more than 20% of primary school
teachers knew the answer to "what is one plus two time three".

My answer would be "do you mean one plus two-times-three, or
one-plus-two times three?"

Do I win an apple?

Are you the teacher?

Well, I seem to agree with the majority. :-P

Seriously, you can't claim only 20% 'got it right', as asking where
the brackets are is a perfectly reasonable (and imho, much more
sensible response than assuming there are none) question. Brackets
are very hard to hear in spoken questions. (I assume it was a spoken
question - if it was written it would be a slightly different matter)

Sorry, no cigar, nor apple.

There is a single correct answer without brackets.

Yes, there is a single correct answer without brackets. But if you speak
the question you can't tell if there are brackets that you can't see. It is
perfectly valid to ask.