Old 10-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Registered User

Default Does anyone have any edible fig tree cuttings to spare?

Hello all,

I have been reading up on fig tree propagation and I would love to give it a go, but I need some cuttings to do this. I am in South West London and am happy to come and collect if not too far from there.

Apologies if this is not acceptable or correct - I read the abc's rules. Also, I tried to post this request on my freecycle group but was denied, so no joy there.

Take care.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Not Sure wrote:
I have been reading up on fig tree propagation and I would love to give
it a go, but I need some cuttings to do this. I am in South West London
and am happy to come and collect if not too far from there.

I have a fig tree (brown turkey) which is meant to produce edible figs, but
hasn't so far. It did /try/ last year, though.

If someone can instruct me on how/when is best to take a cutting, I am more
than happy to post you one (or I can bring as far as W12 or central London
on Monday). I can't make any promises about performance, though.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

wrote in message
Not Sure wrote:
I have been reading up on fig tree propagation and I would love to give
it a go, but I need some cuttings to do this. I am in South West London
and am happy to come and collect if not too far from there.

I have a fig tree (brown turkey) which is meant to produce edible figs,
but
hasn't so far. It did /try/ last year, though.

If someone can instruct me on how/when is best to take a cutting, I am
more
than happy to post you one (or I can bring as far as W12 or central London
on Monday). I can't make any promises about performance, though.

The best time to take a fig cutting is probably in the autumn. Take hardwood
cuttings from a well ripened shoot of the current year's growth.
Alternatively, a root cutting will work, and so will a rooted sucker. If you
can't wait until autumn, cut off a vigorous shoot in summer, and root it in
a glass of water. Experts say that the hardwood cuttings prosper better than
the water rooted variety, but I've got a water rooted one growing in my
garden, so it isn't impossible.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Not Sure

I did some cuttings last year in October that all took, my book says late
summer, make sure you read up on correct timings for pruning once you have
one growing as that is the usual reason for non fruiting although a hard
late winter can also effect crops

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs