GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Split bark on Laburnum (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/195551-split-bark-laburnum.html)

vomog 11-02-2011 11:11 AM

Split bark on Laburnum

I have had to remove a substantial amount of rotting bark from my old Laburnum due to splitting . I realize Feb is not a good month to do this, but it has been very mild. Should I seal these wounds and if so, with what??

Spider[_3_] 15-02-2011 02:35 PM

Split bark on Laburnum

On 14/02/2011 18:14, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 11:11:00 +0000, vomog
wrote:

I have had to remove a substantial amount of rotting bark from my old
Laburnum due to splitting . I realize Feb is not a good month to do
this, but it has been very mild. Should I seal these wounds and if so,
with what??

AIUI sealing severed limbs etc of trees with ?Arbrex (that tarry
paste), is now no longer advised as it encourages fungal disease under
the seal. I believe the recommended treatment now is to let them heal
naturally, but I may be wrong.

Yup. I've read that, too. Best to leave nature to her own devices.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London