GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Aquilegia sawfly (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/195587-aquilegia-sawfly.html)

Ann Lancing 13-02-2011 03:07 PM

Aquilegia sawfly

Advice please regarding Aquilegia sawfly. Can anyone recommend an insecticide
that gets rid of them?

My local garden centre says a certain application for the lawn is the only
thing. This is seventeen pounds per packet.

Ann

Jeff Layman[_2_] 13-02-2011 06:50 PM

Aquilegia sawfly

On 13/02/2011 15:07, Ann Lancing wrote:

Advice please regarding Aquilegia sawfly. Can anyone recommend an
insecticide that gets rid of them?

My local garden centre says a certain application for the lawn is the
only thing. This is seventeen pounds per packet.

I don't have any problem using imidacloprid, but if you don't like it
use one of Westland's products containing thiamethoxam (from the "Bug
Attack" range). In preference, I would use a product also containing
abamectin ("Plant Rescue" range). Check the labels carefully to see
what the products contain, as almost identically-named products have
different active constituents.

--

Jeff

Darkside 13-02-2011 10:25 PM

Aquilegia sawfly

In article , Ann
Lancing writes

Advice please regarding Aquilegia sawfly. Can anyone recommend an insecticide
that gets rid of them?

My local garden centre says a certain application for the lawn is the only
thing. This is seventeen pounds per packet.

Depends how many aquilegias you have. I have solomon's seal sawfly on
one clump: hold an old umbrella upside-down under the plant, shake the
grubs off, transfer to plastic bag, bin it.
--
Sue ]:(:)

Christina Websell 13-02-2011 10:41 PM

Aquilegia sawfly

"Ann Lancing" wrote in message

Advice please regarding Aquilegia sawfly. Can anyone recommend an
insecticide that gets rid of them?

My aquilegias are hardly out of the ground, surely yours cannot have pests
on them already?