GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Honeyberries soil requirements (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/195625-honeyberries-soil-requirements.html)

Compo in Caithness 17-02-2011 12:35 PM

Honeyberries soil requirements

Can anyone having experience of growing honeyberries tell me if they
have any specific soil requirements, please?

Jim Jackson 18-02-2011 10:59 PM

On 2011-02-17, Compo in Caithness wrote:
Can anyone having experience of growing honeyberries tell me if they
have any specific soil requirements, please?

Honeyberries are an edible Lonicera (honeysuckle).
I've got some grown from seed 12 years ago and they seem to grow well in
aprox. neutral (not too acid/alkali) conditions.

Mine tend to flower in late autumn thinking there will be no winter, and
get killed off so my crop has been pretty low.

Have you got any pruning advice?

Jim
Wakefield

Compo in Caithness 20-02-2011 10:59 PM

On 2011-02-17, Compo in Caithness wrote:

Can anyone having experience of growing honeyberries tell me if they
have any specific soil requirements, please?

Honeyberries are an edible Lonicera (honeysuckle).
I've got some grown from seed 12 years ago and they seem to grow well in
aprox. neutral (not too acid/alkali) conditions.

Mine tend to flower in late autumn thinking there will be no winter, and
get killed off so my crop has been pretty low.

Have you got any pruning advice?

Jim
Wakefield

Alas, mine have not yet reached pruning age so I cannot say how to
prune. They are in a slightly acid soil and given the location
(Caithness) seem to be doing ok, if a little slow in growing.