GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   bay plant question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/195627-bay-plant-question.html)

Syke[_2_] 17-02-2011 02:46 PM

bay plant question

I have a bay plant in a container and all the leaves have turned
brown/withered. Should I leave it alone or prune all the dead stuff away?

Regards

Syke

OtherFellow 17-02-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syke[_2_] (Post 913062)
I have a bay plant in a container and all the leaves have turned
brown/withered. Should I leave it alone or prune all the dead stuff away?

Regards

Syke

I'm wondering the same thing though mine is planted in the garden - they're obviously not as hardy as I thought!

kay 17-02-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OtherFellow (Post 913066)
I'm wondering the same thing though mine is planted in the garden - they're obviously not as hardy as I thought!

Big ones are fairly hardy, young ones less so. My 20 ft-er is unscathed, the big shrub that I cut down and since have pruned to keep at 18 inches has had all its new growth killed.

No harm in cutting back branches which are completely dead. But if you're not sure, I'd wait until green buds show, then prune accordingly.

[email protected] 17-02-2011 09:02 PM

bay plant question

In article ,
sheila wrote:
"kay" wrote in message
OtherFellow;913066 Wrote:

I'm wondering the same thing though mine is planted in the garden -
they're obviously not as hardy as I thought!

Big ones are fairly hardy, young ones less so. My 20 ft-er is unscathed,
the big shrub that I cut down and since have pruned to keep at 18 inches
has had all its new growth killed.

No harm in cutting back branches which are completely dead. But if
you're not sure, I'd wait until green buds show, then prune accordingly.

I was just wondering the same think about mine, its in a tub, and doesnt
look very well, it went through last winter unscathed, but this year is most
ill looking, I'll do the bark test tomorrow.

Remember that bay is a true shrub, and will reshoot from its roots
even if all of the trunks are dead. So don't worry even if that
fails, until it also fails to reshoot.

After 1962-3, a very big one (in the ground) didn't reshoot until
1964, and then made a thicket.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Dave Hill 18-02-2011 09:01 AM

bay plant question

On Feb 18, 12:38*am, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

'Syke[_2_ Wrote:
;913062']I have a bay plant in a container and all the leaves have
turned
brown/withered. *Should I leave it alone or prune all the dead stuff
away?

Regards

Syke

I'm wondering the same thing though mine is planted in the garden -
they're obviously not as hardy as I thought!

* If the roots of your garden-planted one are well established
underground, it will very likely send up strong new shoots from the
base. Don't dig it up yet .

* *Janet

You don't say how old / large the bay is, but if it isn't very old I
would cut my loss and buy a new one, places like Lidl do them a couple
of times a year for a few pounds and they would be far ahead of yours
if and when it starts to regrow.

Syke[_2_] 18-02-2011 02:49 PM

bay plant question

Syke wrote:
I have a bay plant in a container and all the leaves have turned
brown/withered. Should I leave it alone or prune all the dead stuff away?

Regards

Syke

Thanks for taking the time everybody. There's a lot of interesting
information there.

Regards

Syke