GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fairy rings. Copied from uk.d-i-y (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/195641-fairy-rings-copied-uk-d-i-y.html)

Donwill[_2_] 18-02-2011 06:51 PM

Fairy rings. Copied from uk.d-i-y

Never underestimate WD40.

I once had a large fairy ring in the front garden, about 12' across. I
sprayed the heads with WD40, and then again after about a week.

In the autumn they made a reappearance, and got the same treatment.
The following spring the survivors got another dose, and that was it.
They disappeared never to return.

It was a*lot* easier than digging up the soil, getting rid of it, and
refilling the hole and replanting.

TF

Don

Mike Lyle[_1_] 18-02-2011 08:23 PM

Fairy rings. Copied from uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 18:51:14 +0000, Donwill
wrote:

Never underestimate WD40.

I once had a large fairy ring in the front garden, about 12' across. I
sprayed the heads with WD40, and then again after about a week.

In the autumn they made a reappearance, and got the same treatment.
The following spring the survivors got another dose, and that was it.
They disappeared never to return.

It was a*lot* easier than digging up the soil, getting rid of it, and
refilling the hole and replanting.

Gosh! That was a courageous decision, Minister. I'd have expected the
petroleum distillate to kill the grass before it hurt the fairy ring.
Fungi are kittle cattle, though.

--
Mike.

Christina Websell 18-02-2011 08:31 PM

"Donwill" wrote in message
Never underestimate WD40.

I once had a large fairy ring in the front garden, about 12' across. I
sprayed the heads with WD40, and then again after about a week.

In the autumn they made a reappearance, and got the same treatment.
The following spring the survivors got another dose, and that was it.
They disappeared never to return.

It was a*lot* easier than digging up the soil, getting rid of it, and
refilling the hole and replanting.

Never felt the need to kill fairy rings as they don't seem to do any harm.

Tina

harry 19-02-2011 10:29 AM

On Feb 18, 6:51*pm, Donwill wrote:
Never underestimate WD40.

I once had a large fairy ring in the front garden, about 12' across. I
sprayed the heads with WD40, and then again after about a week.

In the autumn they made a reappearance, and got the same treatment.
The following spring the survivors got another dose, and that was it.
They disappeared never to return.

It was a*lot* *easier than digging up the soil, getting rid of it, and
refilling the hole and replanting.

TF

Don

The environment is full of fungus spores. Absolutely everywhere. They
spring up when conditions allow/are suitable.. The disappearance of
your fairy ring was purely coincidental. WD40 and soil need to be
kept apart.
The only way to prevent fungus from appearance is to render the
environment unsuitable for them to grow.

Granity 19-02-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christina Websell (Post 913165)

Never felt the need to kill fairy rings as they don't seem to do any harm.

Tina

And they are excellent eating

mogga 19-02-2011 02:08 PM

wrote:

Never underestimate WD40.

I once had a large fairy ring in the front garden, about 12' across. I
sprayed the heads with WD40, and then again after about a week.

In the autumn they made a reappearance, and got the same treatment.
The following spring the survivors got another dose, and that was it.
They disappeared never to return.

It was a*lot* easier than digging up the soil, getting rid of it, and
refilling the hole and replanting.

TF

Don

We've got lots of little mushrooms/toadstalks in the garden at the
moment... mostly in the bit that was under an inch of water the other
week.
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

kay 19-02-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granity (Post 913196)
And they are excellent eating

Some of them are. But some of the extremely poisonous fungi also grow in rings.

hugh 19-02-2011 08:50 PM

Fairy rings. Copied from uk.d-i-y

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"Donwill" wrote in message
Never underestimate WD40.

I once had a large fairy ring in the front garden, about 12' across. I
sprayed the heads with WD40, and then again after about a week.

In the autumn they made a reappearance, and got the same treatment.
The following spring the survivors got another dose, and that was it.
They disappeared never to return.

It was a*lot* easier than digging up the soil, getting rid of it, and
refilling the hole and replanting.

Never felt the need to kill fairy rings as they don't seem to do any harm.

Tina

Depends what type. Mine on the front lawn killed off the grass within
the circle. Got rid by forking the ground and repeatedly treating with
soapy water.

Digging out the soil is generally regarded as WOT
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

echinosum 21-02-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donwill[_2_] (Post 913159)
Never underestimate WD40.

I once had a large fairy ring in the front garden, about 12' across. I
sprayed the heads with WD40, and then again after about a week.

In the autumn they made a reappearance, and got the same treatment.
The following spring the survivors got another dose, and that was it.
They disappeared never to return.

It was a*lot* easier than digging up the soil, getting rid of it, and
refilling the hole and replanting.

It seems unlikely that spraying the toadstools did anything to the underlying fungus which lives in the soil, unless of course it was dripping off and getting into the soil. How many years since you last saw some toadstools? Can you still see the ring mark in the grass? Unless it has been a number of years since you last saw toadstools, it may still be there. They don't fruit every year.

Also, you talk about it fruiting in both autumn and spring. I rather suspect that these were not the same fungus.

Granity 21-02-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granity = And they are excellent eating
Quote:

Originally Posted by kay (Post 913218)
Some of them are. But some of the extremely poisonous fungi also grow in rings.

We were talking about FAIRY rings, Fairy Ring Champinons are excellent eating.

kay 21-02-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granity (Post 913427)
We were talking about FAIRY rings, Fairy Ring Champinons are excellent eating.

So what to your mind is the distinguishing feature of a FAIRY ring?

This forum is read by many who do not recognise different species of fungi.
If your definition is that a Fairy ring is a ring comprising edible fairy ring champignons, how confident are you that someone who doesn't know fungi will be able to distinguish that from a ring of Clytocybe dealbata?

Are you saying that there is some other defining feature of a Fairy ring which will tell you that the fruiting bodies are of the Fairy ring champignon and not Clitocybe dealbata or other ring forming species?

It is dangerously misleading to give advice which, to the uninitiated, sounds like "if you have a ring of fungi on your lawn, the fungi are edible and delicious".

[email protected] 21-02-2011 09:01 PM

Fairy rings. Copied from uk.d-i-y

In article ,
kay wrote:
Granity;913427 Wrote:

[...]

That is very true. I have fairy rings on my lawn, made up of fungi
that are edible but not worth eating - yes, they are neither of the
above. There are dozens, perhaps hundreds, of species that form
fairy rings, and they vary from the edible and delicious to the
lethally poisonous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Christina Websell 27-02-2011 06:47 PM

"Granity" wrote in message

Christina Websell;913165 Wrote:
-

Never felt the need to kill fairy rings as they don't seem to do any
harm.

Tina-

And they are excellent eating

Haven't gone that far ;-)