GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Brussel sprout seed sowing (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/195703-brussel-sprout-seed-sowing.html)

michael 24-02-2011 09:40 AM

Brussel sprout seed sowing

I always find it difficult to judge when to sow brussel sprout seed.I
like sprouts between November and March,that is after the runner beans
have finished and before the sprouting broccoli is ready.
The recommended late variety is Wellington F1,but I find my plants
rarely come to produce a crop of reasonable sized firm buttons.I do
quite well with Maximus F1,but it does come in rather early.
The perceived wisdom is to sow early varieties of sprouts early and
late varieties later,but I am wondering whether the reverse should be
true since the late varieties presumably have a longer period of
growth.
So I am thinking of sowing the late variey Wellington F1 very soon now
in a cool greenhouse.
I always sow brassica seed in the green house to get better
germination,and using cleaner soil than outside.Again,perceived wisdom
is that one should sow outside.
So I would welcome comments please,Michael