GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Transplanting Parsnip seedlings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/195889-transplanting-parsnip-seedlings.html)

Roger Tonkin 11-03-2011 04:39 PM

Transplanting Parsnip seedlings

A friend suggested starting off parsnip seeds in toilet roll tubes,
which I have done.

I planted 3 seeds in each, and in some all have germinated. I am tempted
when planting out the tubes to try splitting some and transplat the
seedings, but I am sure I've read somewhere that behave like over
ferilised plants and the roots will split and not form properly.

Anyone transplanted parsnips successfully?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

David in Normandy[_8_] 11-03-2011 10:06 PM

On 11/03/2011 17:39, Roger Tonkin wrote:
A friend suggested starting off parsnip seeds in toilet roll tubes,
which I have done.

I planted 3 seeds in each, and in some all have germinated. I am tempted
when planting out the tubes to try splitting some and transplat the
seedings, but I am sure I've read somewhere that behave like over
ferilised plants and the roots will split and not form properly.

Anyone transplanted parsnips successfully?

I've grown my parsnips by transplantation for the last few years.
They always split, however it isn't the end of the world. It just means
there is a big base root and several other roots from there.
Maybe a little more fiddly to prepare for the kitchen but I find it
better than the haphazard way in which parsnips germinate when sown
directly in the ground - and by the time they do appear they are lost in
weeds. I just sow mine in deep pots and split them when they are few
inches high.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Billy[_10_] 12-03-2011 07:27 AM

Transplanting Parsnip seedlings

In article ,
Roger Tonkin wrote:

A friend suggested starting off parsnip seeds in toilet roll tubes,
which I have done.

I planted 3 seeds in each, and in some all have germinated. I am tempted
when planting out the tubes to try splitting some and transplat the
seedings, but I am sure I've read somewhere that behave like over
ferilised plants and the roots will split and not form properly.

Anyone transplanted parsnips successfully?

You may want to make a hole with a pointy stick (dibble) [old shovel
handles sharpened at the broken end are good], and fill with potting
soil, before you plant in it.
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI
http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2011/3/7/michael_moore

Roger Tonkin 12-03-2011 04:57 PM

Transplanting Parsnip seedlings

In article wildbilly-74B45C.23271011032011@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...
You may want to make a hole with a pointy stick (dibble) [old shovel
handles sharpened at the broken end are good], and fill with potting
soil, before you plant in it.

The point of sowing in toilet rolls is to save that rigmarole. Just
plant toilet roll tube into the ground, the cardboard will rot away very
quickly and break if the root expands first. I've done this with carrots
for several years with success.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales