GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   aphids? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/195904-aphids.html)

stuart noble 13-03-2011 10:36 AM

aphids?

A couple of our winter violas are covered in what looks like 1-2mm off
white aphids. Isn't it a bit early for them?

Spider[_3_] 13-03-2011 05:44 PM

aphids?

On 13/03/2011 10:36, stuart noble wrote:
A couple of our winter violas are covered in what looks like 1-2mm off
white aphids. Isn't it a bit early for them?

Not really. I'm not seeing many yet, but they're around. The birds
time their breeding to coincide (as far as possible) with the new
season's aphids and caterpillars, otherwise their young would starve. I
try not to interfere or spray so the birds have a safe feast. Just wash
or wipe themm off if they offend you.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London