GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Homebase Compost (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/196038-homebase-compost.html)

Roger Tonkin 21-03-2011 05:06 PM

Homebase Compost

In Homebase the other day I was tempted by their buy 3 get 4th free
offer of multipurpose compost, 60 litres.

Opening a bag at the weekend, I find it seems to contain lots of thing
wood branches about 5cms long, and 2mm in diameter, lots of matted
material that looks a bit like bark and lots of slivers of what I think
is a soft wood, its white about 1 cm long and between 3 and 5 mm wide.

I can not imagine trying to plant seedling or seeds in such rubbish and
I would take it back if I had the receipt still, and if it were a bit
nearer home.

Beware!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Jake 21-03-2011 05:30 PM

Homebase Compost

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:06:15 -0000, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

In Homebase the other day I was tempted by their buy 3 get 4th free
offer of multipurpose compost, 60 litres.

Opening a bag at the weekend, I find it seems to contain lots of thing
wood branches about 5cms long, and 2mm in diameter, lots of matted
material that looks a bit like bark and lots of slivers of what I think
is a soft wood, its white about 1 cm long and between 3 and 5 mm wide.

I can not imagine trying to plant seedling or seeds in such rubbish and
I would take it back if I had the receipt still, and if it were a bit
nearer home.

Beware!

ISTR someone else in the group having a similar opinion of Homebase
compost last year. I think B&Q compost came out on top and I've read
somewhere else that it's good.

I get worried a lot about compost these days as you never know which
brands are sourcing from local authority recycling efforts. Some of
the stuff I've seen getting thrown into the "green" skips at my local
tip (including Japanese Knotweed!) makes me cringe.

I think Homebase will still take it back without a receipt but will
only give you a credit note given that it's their own brand so could
not have been bought anywhere else - might be worth checking if you
happen to be going that way.

Derek[_6_] 21-03-2011 08:04 PM

Homebase Compost

wrote:

In Homebase the other day I was tempted by their buy 3 get 4th free
offer of multipurpose compost, 60 litres.

For the very first time I am using mainly my own made up potting
compost. Works out about the same price wise as shop bought but I do
know what's in it

45 liters of my own home made compost
15 liters of peat based compost,
3 liters of vermiculate
2 liters of Soil
2 liters of sharp sand
2 liters of chicken pellets.

Looks and feels good.

Dave Hill 21-03-2011 09:40 PM

Homebase Compost

On Mar 21, 5:06*pm, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In Homebase the other day I was tempted by their buy 3 get 4th free
offer of multipurpose compost, 60 litres.

Opening a bag at the weekend, I find it seems to contain lots of thing
wood branches about 5cms long, and 2mm in diameter, lots of matted
material that looks a bit like bark and lots of slivers of what I think
is a soft wood, its white about 1 cm long and between 3 and 5 mm wide.

I can not imagine trying to plant seedling or seeds in such rubbish and
I would take it back if I had the receipt still, and if it were a bit
nearer home.

Beware!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Sounds to me as if you have got wood chip mulch by mistake, I'd take
it back and complain.
Best compost around is still B & Q peat based multi pourpous compost,
120 litr bales, bought on a Wednesday with over 60's discount. though
they had 20 litr bags on offer the other weekend for £1.00 each
For seed and cuttings, seive through 1/2 inch mesh, add pearlite and
mix well.
DONT try their peat free, it is junk.