Old 22-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Registered User

Default Turf and Topsoil Advice on clay - now I know more about what I'm dealing with!

Hi there,

I posted a thread a few months ago concerning making a garden for my daughter. As a introduction I live in Bristol and the garden consisted of a garage and concrete all of which has now gone. The thread link is here!

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united...-old-play.html

After a month of hard graft I have a far better idea of what I'm dealing with. I have put a few photos up of the progress made in the last month. So, after taking out thirty bags of stones and rubble aftermath of the garage base I have now dug in 30 bags of manure into the clay. This soily clay is pretty yellow and sodden 12 inches down but the top 4-6 inches is now breakable clay/soily consistency mixed with manure to break it up. The manure was pretty fresh so there are now plenty of worms getting to work beneath the surface. A couple of small sections have rubble/a small wall approx 4 inches down.

I am just wondering about the next stage. On Saturday ill be sifting it all again but this time not so deep and more a raking. I am then thinking of getting in another 30 bags of manure to build the height of the back section and put more goodness into the ground. I have searched online and many people suggest bringing in sand to break up the clay but I'm wondering if its bad enough to do that and be a waste of money and time? The manure itself s doing a good job of breaking the clay already it seems.

I'm then thinking of a 2-3 inch layer of top soil and then turf? Some people have suggested clay of this type/consistency will not need any topsoil at all and some suggest a miniumum 9 inches! Its such a minefield! I'm pretty certain grass will pentrate my clay/manure layer but whether it will grow or not I don't know.

Any advice on soil/turf/manure/sand and advice on my next step would be gratefully received!

Many thanks

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Turf and Topsoil Advice on clay -  now I know more about what I'm dealing with!-1.jpg   Turf and Topsoil Advice on clay -  now I know more about what I'm dealing with!-2.jpg   Turf and Topsoil Advice on clay -  now I know more about what I'm dealing with!-3.jpg
Old 23-03-2011, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 21:01:29 +0000, Richard William
wrote:

online and many people suggest bringing in sand to break up the clay but
I'm wondering if its bad enough to do that and be a waste of money and
time? The manure itself s doing a good job of breaking the clay already
it seems.
I'm then thinking of a 2-3 inch layer of top soil and then turf? Some
people have suggested clay of this type/consistency will not need any
topsoil at all and some suggest a miniumum 9 inches! Its such a
minefield! I'm pretty certain grass will pentrate my clay/manure layer
but whether it will grow or not I don't know.

Lots of hard work done, would suggest that you have the 'goodness'
back into the ground, so now you need the 'drainage' .

So spend the money on the sand, sharp not builders, and you may be
looking at one of those 'bulk' bags so be lovered by builders
merchants. I think 2-3 inch's of topsoil is more than enough, and
properly not even required.

Old 24-03-2011, 08:47 AM
Registered User

hi,

thanks for your advice. Woud you recommend compressing the manure/clay mix and applying a layer of sharp sand or mixing it in? Is it possible to just put a 2-3 inch layer of sand and then lay turf directly on top?

thanks
Old 25-03-2011, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:47:33 +0000, Richard William
wrote:

hi,

thanks for your advice. Woud you recommend compressing the manure/clay
mix and applying a layer of sharp sand or mixing it in? Is it possible
to just put a 2-3 inch layer of sand and then lay turf directly on top?

No, grass needs soil to grow in, both for nourishment and for
something to hang onto: have you seen the way the turf rucks up like a
carpet at some football stadia (Millennium is an example)? That's
because they sacrifice stability by having a drainage layer too near
the surface; and their turf is cosseted like a baby. Mix your sand in
well if you feel you need it at all: it's an ingredient, not a layer.

I think somebody's already suggested you may not need topsoil. As
you've added so much organic matter, I'll go further and say you
absolutely don't need it unless you want to change the contours a lot.
It's one of those ideas the idiotic makeover programmes inflict on the
innocent.

--
Mike.
Old 27-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Registered User

mike,

thanks for your advice there. Done some more tilling/turning over of the manure clay mix and beginning to look good. I appreciate your layer advice and well taken. Once my hands recover from my blisters I'll make a decision on the sand but I hope we are not too far away from turf!!

thanks