Old 24-03-2011, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anyone ever bought a "name your own rose" thing?

Wondering if these deals where you get to name a rose and have the bush
delivered are any good?

A friend has had a tough time and has always talked about having a rose
bush, so we thought it was a decent "personalised" gift. How do we go about
seeing if the name we want is already registered? Anyone have any experience
of these things? Any advice or anecdotes much appreciated, thanks.

Old 24-03-2011, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-03-24 16:25:57 +0000, "Mentalguy2k8"
said:

Wondering if these deals where you get to name a rose and have the bush
delivered are any good?

A friend has had a tough time and has always talked about having a rose
bush, so we thought it was a decent "personalised" gift. How do we go
about seeing if the name we want is already registered? Anyone have any
experience of these things? Any advice or anecdotes much appreciated,
thanks.

I've never done it but would just suggest that you take every care over
what kind of rose it is, how healthy, good 'doer' etc. I may be being
very unfair but this does strike me as a possible way of selling off rose
'seedlings' that have amounted to nothing much!

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that.

And is there already a rose with your friend's name?

Yes there is (Brandy), unfortunately it seems to be a US variety and
impossible to get hold of over here (although we can get "Cherry Brandy")
but we were going to call it a variation on that name so that it would be
unique. But I'm assuming that all the existing "name your own" ones are only
listed somewhere that I can't see. Most of the sites I've seen have a form
where you fill out your details and the required name, and they "will get
back to you" regarding availability of the name.

Old 24-03-2011, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-03-24 16:25:57 +0000, "Mentalguy2k8"
said:

Wondering if these deals where you get to name a rose and have the
bush delivered are any good?

A friend has had a tough time and has always talked about having a
rose bush, so we thought it was a decent "personalised" gift. How do
we go about seeing if the name we want is already registered? Anyone
have any experience of these things? Any advice or anecdotes much
appreciated, thanks.

I've never done it but would just suggest that you take every care
over what kind of rose it is, how healthy, good 'doer' etc. I may be
being very unfair but this does strike me as a possible way of selling
off rose 'seedlings' that have amounted to nothing much! And is there
already a rose with your friend's name?

Or a scam in other words.
A better idea would be to go to your local nursery, pick a plant,buy it,
take the label off and write your own. It is exactly the same, a scam. IMO

Baz
Old 24-03-2011, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

On 2011-03-24 16:25:57 +0000, "Mentalguy2k8"
said:

[...]

You're confusing two different matters. In the kind of "rosenaming" you
buy as a gift for a few quid, it doesn't matter if the name you want has
been used before because it only identifies the single specimen you buy.
That's whay it's "unique" :-)

Naming plants that will go into commercial propagation for sale is
a different matter; registered plant names do have to be chosen carefully
for legal reasons.

Janet

Old 24-03-2011, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article , says...

On 2011-03-24 16:25:57 +0000, "Mentalguy2k8"
said:

[...]

OK, thanks for the advice. I think we'll look for a nice, hardy "generic"
rose bush that can live in a patio container instead. Do you have any
suggestions for a particular rose (preferably pink) or supplier? I really
don't want to buy something that's dead by summer 2012.

Old 24-03-2011, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message

"Janet" wrote in message
In article , says...

On 2011-03-24 16:25:57 +0000, "Mentalguy2k8"
said:

[...]

Or something that flowers each year and is pretty hardy, doesn't have to be
a rose.

Old 24-03-2011, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/index.phpdelivered are any good?

A friend has had a tough time and has always talked about having a rose
bush, so we thought it was a decent "personalised" gift. How do we go about
seeing if the name we want is already registered? Anyone have any experience
of these things? Any advice or anecdotes much appreciated, thanks.

I share Sacha's and Chris's reservations on this having been in the
rose trade many years ago.
Just pick a good rose from a good supplier like

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/index.php
It's a very big catalogue, packed with info and contains most of the
very best currently available including the older often difficult to
get varieties. And I've always had good plants from them.

Rod
Old 24-05-2015, 11:02 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalguy2k8[_2_] View Post
Wondering if these deals where you get to name a rose and have the bush
delivered are any good?

A friend has had a tough time and has always talked about having a rose
bush, so we thought it was a decent "personalised" gift. How do we go about
seeing if the name we want is already registered? Anyone have any experience
of these things? Any advice or anecdotes much appreciated, thanks.
I have bought a rose twice via this method and both times the rose has been of exceptional quality. The company is Country Garden Roses in Shropshire.