GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What sort of gravel to use for landscaping my mother's yard? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/196110-what-sort-gravel-use-landscaping-my-mothers-yard.html)

seanspotatobiz 25-03-2011 08:29 PM

What sort of gravel to use for landscaping my mother's yard?

Last summer I built a small deck in my mother's yard and this summer I want to finish fixing the render on some of the walls (not shown) and re-whitewash the other walls (shown). Given the whitewashed walls and the colour of the deckboards, what sort and colour ought the gravel to be? The gravel will cover the rest of the yard and I'll build planters out of the left over deck boards.

seanspotatobiz 25-03-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanspotatobiz (Post 915972)

I forgot to supply a photograph: http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7942248_n.jpg

seanspotatobiz 25-03-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Mike Lyle[_1_] 25-03-2011 11:25 PM

What sort of gravel to use for landscaping my mother's yard?

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 20:29:44 +0000, seanspotatobiz
wrote:

Last summer I built a small deck in my mother's yard and this summer I
want to finish fixing the render on some of the walls (not shown) and
re-whitewash the other walls (shown). Given the whitewashed walls and
the colour of the deckboards, what sort and colour ought the gravel to
be? The gravel will cover the rest of the yard and I'll build planters
out of the left over deck boards.

I think gravel (and any garden stone) should look as local as
possible. On that principle, I'd pick a colour like that of the soil
or stone found in the area, rather than to resemble the wood or any
paintwork.

--
Mike.