Old 28-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Registered User

Location: Sheffield
Default Sickly Escalonia's

Hello all,

I planted about 20 Escalonias in order to form a hedge around 2 sides of my garden. When I first planted them they were a healthy dark green with small white flowers but over time they have become less 'green' and have had no flowers for some time now .. It appears that the soil which they are in is lacking nutrients and I have been told to get some tomato feed to give to the plants to help them.

I am just wondering if this is the answer and if so, how much and how regularly should I feed the plants ? As hedges go it is currently in a pretty sorry state as the plants have grown but are not very dense. They are currently about 2'6" tall. I am assuming that I need to trim them back a fair bit to try to encourage more growth at the base as well as feeding them ?

Not being a gardening type I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice please ..

Thanks very much ..

Dave.
Old 28-03-2011, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2011-03-28 20:41:17 +0100, Simmo said:

[...]

Where do you live, when did you plant them and what was there before
you planted them? *I wouldn't do anything to them until you've learned
a bit more about them. *They need to get their roots down and put on a
fair bit of growth before you start trimking them for bushiness because
they seem to be struggling to survive.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

I would be more inclined to give them a feed with More Nitrogen (N)
than you will get in a tomato feed
Old 31-03-2011, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 19:41:17 +0000, Simmo
wrote:

[...]

While I agree with what Sacha and Dave Hill have said about being
patient, feeding etc., in Cornwall in the last few years there was/is
a disease of escallonias that was causing a lot of concern. The leaves
would go black, shrivel and drop off, the only sign of life would be
the green shoot at the tips of the twigs, they didn't flower and
looked very bare and generally unhealthy. I ripped out two hedges
because of it, and I know others who did the same.

But don't assume yours have got the same problem just yet. Give them a
feed with a general purpose fertiliser, either liquid or granular
(e.g. Phostrogen or Growmore), and see if they respond, before hauling
them out.

I have removed all the Escallonia, it just looks dreadful all the time
now, used to be a good coastal hedging plant, sadly like the broad leaved
Hebes we can't grow it anymore due to disease
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Escalonia problem David Hill United Kingdom 8 26-09-2013 05:31 PM
helping a sickly, spindly Clematis peter Gardening 4 11-07-2003 11:56 PM
sickly looking habanero MOO112 Gardening 15 13-06-2003 12:32 PM
sickly looking azaleas Jane Gardening 1 10-04-2003 08:56 PM
Do These plants look sickly? Cowboy Gardening 7 07-03-2003 06:56 PM