Old 29-03-2011, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
A_T A_T is offline

Default Advice on pruning Buddleia

Here is my buddleia. It was planted in the Autumn having been grown in a
pot from a cutting. It's 30 inches high.

http://imgur.com/zyUhw

Ultimately I would like this to grow as big as possible to attract
butterflies in the late summer so is it best to just leave it this
spring? I know more mature buddleias benefit from spring pruning but as
this is so small should I leave it? Advice appreciated.
Old 29-03-2011, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Mar 2011 18:12:15 GMT, A_T
wrote:

Here is my buddleia. It was planted in the Autumn having been grown in a
pot from a cutting. It's 30 inches high.

Personally I think it would be cruel to prune such a small plant.

When it grows a bit, you prune in Autumn to prevent wind damage, and
prune hard in the spring to shape and encourage growth, mine is over
35 years old, and from ground level to three feet is all
gnarled and interesting , with the new growth each year getting to
twelve feet plus.
Old 29-03-2011, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
A_T A_T is offline

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 21:29:16 +0100, Derek wrote:

On 29 Mar 2011 18:12:15 GMT, A_T
wrote:

Here is my buddleia. It was planted in the Autumn having been grown in a
pot from a cutting. It's 30 inches high.

Personally I think it would be cruel to prune such a small plant.

When it grows a bit, you prune in Autumn to prevent wind damage, and
prune hard in the spring to shape and encourage growth, mine is over 35
years old, and from ground level to three feet is all gnarled and
interesting , with the new growth each year getting to twelve feet plus.

Yes I'm thinking give it a year or 2 to get established - and let the
roots grow.
Old 30-03-2011, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

Here is my buddleia. It was planted in the Autumn having been grown in a
pot from a cutting. It's 30 inches high.

Personally I think it would be cruel to prune such a small plant.

When it grows a bit, you prune in Autumn to prevent wind damage, and
prune hard in the spring to shape and encourage growth, mine is over 35
years old, and from ground level to three feet is all gnarled and
interesting , with the new growth each year getting to twelve feet plus..

Yes I'm thinking give it a year or 2 to get established - and let the
roots grow.

Remember that this thing can spread 6 to 8 ft sidways, is it far
enough away from the conifer behind it?
If not move it now.
I'd cut it back to around 12 ti 18 inches what ever you do,
You dont say what colour flowers it has.
Old 30-03-2011, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
A_T A_T is offline

wrote:

Here is my buddleia. It was planted in the Autumn having been grown
in a pot from a cutting. It's 30 inches high.

Personally I think it would be cruel to prune such a small plant.

When it grows a bit, you prune in Autumn to prevent wind damage, and
prune hard in the spring to shape and encourage growth, mine is over
35 years old, and from ground level to three feet is all gnarled and
interesting , with the new growth each year getting to twelve feet
plus.

Yes I'm thinking give it a year or 2 to get established - and let the
roots grow.

Remember that this thing can spread 6 to 8 ft sidways, is it far enough
away from the conifer behind it? If not move it now.
I'd cut it back to around 12 ti 18 inches what ever you do, You dont say
what colour flowers it has.

It's the classic purple type that seems to grow on wasteland everywhere.

Old 30-03-2011, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Here is my buddleia. It was planted in the Autumn having been grown
in a pot from a cutting. It's 30 inches high.

Personally I think it would be cruel to prune such a small plant.

When it grows a bit, you prune in Autumn to prevent wind damage, and
prune hard in the spring to shape and encourage growth, mine is over
35 years old, and from ground level to three feet is all gnarled and
interesting , with the new growth each year getting to twelve feet
plus.

Yes I'm thinking give it a year or 2 to get established - and let the
roots grow.

Remember that this thing can spread 6 to 8 ft sidways, is it far enough
away from the conifer behind it? If not move it now.
I'd cut it back to around 12 ti 18 inches what ever you do, You dont say
what colour flowers it has.

It's the classic purple type that seems to grow on wasteland everywhere.- Hide quoted text -

My wife has a buddleia collection. If you want any more you could have
cuttings if not far awy. (W. Midlands.)
When established, they need a good hack back right now.
Old 30-03-2011, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

[...]

When established, they need a good hack back right now.- Hide quoted text -

As that is the common (Wild) buddleija I would be inclined to get rid
of it and to get a good named variety with a good colour, they will
still attract butterflies and will look a lot better.
There are a couple of lovely yellow forms (Not Glabosa), and some
lovely white forms, also some quite compact forms as well as
variegated forms.
The wild one seeds itself everywhere, I probably pull out around 50 a
year here.
I am sure I read that it is one of the plants that are going to be
outlawed as invasive alliens, but I doubt if we will ever be able to
get rid of it.