Old 12-07-2010, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wasps

When do they arrive? I've only seen one or two this year but can remember
plagues of them last year but not when. I've a heap of plastic pop bottles
awaiting conversion into traps.

mark

Old 12-07-2010, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:42:29 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

When do they arrive? I've only seen one or two this year but can remember
plagues of them last year but not when. I've a heap of plastic pop
bottles
awaiting conversion into traps.

mark

They're around now but their lifecycle means that at the moment
they're "beneficial insects" (they get their sweeties from larvae).
Later in the summer the larvae have all grown up and the blighters are
looking elsewhere for sweet stuff (like my apples!)

Around here, it's usually around the middle of August that they start
to become a pest. September is their peak month. We've got some giant
citronella candles that we light when we're having a barbecue and they
do seem to keep them away. We also have a collection of plastic
beakers that fit nicely upside down over beer cans (seriously - you
don't want a wasp flying into a beer can before you take the next
gulp!).

We tried the plastic bottle wasp trap idea last year but didn't catch
many.

Fortunately, in 20 years, we've only had one local nest (which turned
out to be in our house so I had to eradicate it). As long as there's
no really local nest the wasp numbers aren't too much of a problem.

Jake

Last year plum picking was hazardous as it seemed like every third one had a
wasp chomping away inside, and also not good for profits as selling the
plums at the gate paid for the heated propagator and other bits and pieces.

I shall make six bottle traps and hopefully have less wasps and more plums.

mark

Old 13-07-2010, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:25:28 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

stuff snipped to avoid repetition.

Last year plum picking was hazardous as it seemed like every third
one had a wasp chomping away inside, and also not good for profits
as selling the plums at the gate paid for the heated propagator and
other bits and pieces.

I shall make six bottle traps and hopefully have less wasps and more
plums.

mark

Wasps, being opportunists, go for damaged fruit so if they're chomping
inside then some damage to the outside let them in. As I've only got
dwarf trees, it's easy for me to check the fruits regularly and remove
any that show signs of damage. I also religiously pick up windfalls
(which are usually bruised and the bruise offers a way in) and pile
some up out of the way where any and all wildlife can get its fill
without bothering me. This approach also encourages thrushes and
blackbirds to peck away at stuff I don't want and they tend to leave
my trees alone.

I wonder has anyone else tried those "waspinator" things that are
supposed to look like wasps nests and deter other wasps? Seems a bit
daft to me to hang up some grey ball and assume it'll fool the
buggers.

Wasps have a serious image problem, don't they?
No-one is bothered when they are out and about earlier in the year (you
don't see them much then) gathering up caterpillars from your fruit & veg to
feed their larvae, but the moment they are on ripe fruit later in the year,
drunk as **** and likely to sting you, it's all "let's set a trap and kill
them"
Tina

Old 13-07-2010, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

Wasps have a serious image problem, don't they?
No-one is bothered when they are out and about earlier in the year (you
don't see them much then) gathering up caterpillars from your fruit & veg to
feed their larvae, but the moment they are on ripe fruit later in the year,
drunk as **** and likely to sting you, it's all "let's set a trap and kill
them"

Well, those particular wasps are all under sentence of death, anyway,
so it doesn't make much difference to them :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

WAsps, wasps and more wasps Broadback United Kingdom 69 09-08-2004 09:57 AM
How to Kill spiders wasps earwigs centipedes etc Kat Gardening 14 16-05-2003 11:56 PM
the truth about wasps...and contrition Edible Gardening 0 08-05-2003 10:20 PM
Ground Wasps Lar Gardening 2 01-05-2003 05:44 AM
Wasps nest in the attic Peter Crosland United Kingdom 30 07-12-2002 07:56 PM