GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Blossom tree with 2 types of blossom (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/196341-blossom-tree-2-types-blossom.html)

Jo[_5_] 10-04-2011 10:20 PM

Blossom tree with 2 types of blossom

Whilst looking at a neighbour's pink blossom tree today I noticed that one
very large thick branch had produced white blossom of a completely different
shape and size to the pink blooms on all the other branches. A bit of a
mystery. Can anyone explain how this can happen?

Stewart Robert Hinsley 10-04-2011 10:40 PM

Blossom tree with 2 types of blossom

In message , Jo
writes
Whilst looking at a neighbour's pink blossom tree today I noticed that one
very large thick branch had produced white blossom of a completely different
shape and size to the pink blooms on all the other branches. A bit of a
mystery. Can anyone explain how this can happen?

Explanation 1: the white blossom is from the rootstock.

Explanation 2: the white blossom is a sport.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Dave Hill 10-04-2011 10:54 PM

On Apr 10, 9:20*pm, "Jo" wrote:
Whilst looking at a neighbour's pink blossom tree today I noticed that one
very large thick branch had produced white blossom of a completely different
shape and size to the pink blooms on all the other branches. *A bit of a
mystery. *Can anyone explain how this can happen?

Sounds to be like it's a grafted tree, and the rootstock has thrown up
a sucker which has developed and is now flowering with white flowers
whilst the origional plant is pink.
I've seen this a few times with the Purple Leaved Plum where the
sucker is green leafed, it looks rather good if the balance is about
equal.
David Hill

Jeff Layman[_2_] 11-04-2011 10:25 AM

Blossom tree with 2 types of blossom

On 10/04/2011 21:40, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Jo
writes
Whilst looking at a neighbour's pink blossom tree today I noticed that
one
very large thick branch had produced white blossom of a completely
different
shape and size to the pink blooms on all the other branches. A bit of a
mystery. Can anyone explain how this can happen?

Explanation 1: the white blossom is from the rootstock.

But would it have taken so long to flower? Most cherries (assuming it
is a cherry) flower when quite small.

Explanation 2: the white blossom is a sport.

If the branch was fairly new then explanation 2 might be correct, but
according to the OP it is a "very large thick branch". I can't see how
this could suddenly become a sport. Maybe a new branch off that branch,
but the branch itself - surely that's very unlikely.

From the colour of the flowers it sounds to be a type of cherry. I
have no idea how the grafts take place in these trees, but wonder if
something like a chimaera has suddenly come to the fore. The change in
flower shape and colour suggests a major difference to the original
flowers. Is this at all possible?

--

Jeff

Rod[_5_] 11-04-2011 07:38 PM

Blossom tree with 2 types of blossom

On Apr 11, 1:12*pm, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 10/04/2011 21:40, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Jo
writes
Whilst looking at a neighbour's pink blossom tree today I noticed that
one
very large thick branch had produced white blossom of a completely
different
shape and size to the pink blooms on all the other branches. A bit of a
mystery. Can anyone explain how this can happen?

Explanation 1: the white blossom is from the rootstock.

But would it have taken so long to flower? *Most cherries (assuming it
is a cherry) flower when quite small.

* That is exactly what happens very often. As a youngster, the grafted
scion flowers as per the plant label. The owner doesn't notice growth
coming from below the graft and eventually, the rootstock's rogue growth
(which is inevitably stronger and more vigorous than the topgraft) starts
flowering.

*Janet.

Yes, and cherries are often 'topworked' - ie grafted scion on top of
a rootstock stem so the sucker will at a casual glance look just like
a branch. Except that it will come from below the graft, the bark will
be a different texture and colour and the leaves and obviously flowers
will be different.

Rod