GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Any tips for buying citrus plants? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/196396-any-tips-buying-citrus-plants.html)

Jin 14-04-2011 11:54 AM

Any tips for buying citrus plants?

I want to buy Lemon and Lime trees but the cheapest I can find them for is £30 - anyone know anywhere cheaper?

Thanks!

Jin

Dave Hill 14-04-2011 05:08 PM

--
Jin

Try Lidl
They had some a week or so ago

Bob Hobden[_3_] 14-04-2011 06:04 PM

Any tips for buying citrus plants?

"Jin" wrote

I want to buy Lemon and Lime trees but the cheapest I can find them for
is £30 - anyone know anywhere cheaper?

£30. is cheap for a Citrus tree. Doubt you will find a Tahiti Lime for under
that, well not one worth buying.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

harry 15-04-2011 08:42 AM

On Apr 14, 11:54*am, Jin wrote:
I want to buy Lemon and Lime trees but the cheapest I can find them for
is 30 - anyone know anywhere cheaper?

Thanks!

Jin

--
Jin

Don't bother. the next bad frost wil lnobble them. Even in a
conservatory unless heated.

Bob Hobden 15-04-2011 10:56 PM

Any tips for buying citrus plants?

"harry" wrote ...

Jin wrote:
I want to buy Lemon and Lime trees but the cheapest I can find them for
is 30 - anyone know anywhere cheaper?

Don't bother. the next bad frost wil lnobble them. Even in a
conservatory unless heated.

They can take a couple of degrees of frost but they can't take it coupled
with a wind IME. We keep ours overwinter in our garage which has a twin
walled perspex roof, it has no heating but is on the side of the house and
is therefor frost fee. They all went outside some weeks ago now and will
only be brought back inside if frost is forecast.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

someone 15-04-2011 11:37 PM

"Jin" wrote in message

I want to buy Lemon and Lime trees but the cheapest I can find them for
is £30 - anyone know anywhere cheaper?

Thanks!

Jin

I know you want a quick result, but if you're young and into "slow", then I
can recommend growing from seed. I have a lovely mandarin lemon tree grown
from a seed found in my gin & lime drink in Costa Rica in 1994. It flowers,
and I have had a few small fruits showing up, although I don't treat it
nicely enough that the fruits stay on. I also have some elderly trees grown
from grapefruit and orange seeds when I lived in a crappy bedsit in Kilburn
in 1973. They never flower but, hey, they're like family, I can't just get
rid of them.

Following my recent holiday in Vietnam, I now have some kumquat seeds from
near Ho Chi Minh's tomb, and the little house he lived in nearby. They've
just sprouted and are coming up and I have high hopes for them. Viet
kumquats are not like the ones we think of, they're completely circular. I
am looking forward to Uncle Ho's kumquats, except I'll probably be dead by
the time they produce :-)

Good luck with your search.

someone