GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What is the best way to support tomatoes? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/196424-what-best-way-support-tomatoes.html)

alan.holmes 15-04-2011 09:19 PM

What is the best way to support tomatoes?

Should one use dozens of canes or is there a simple and cheap way to do
this?

Alan

harry 16-04-2011 08:28 AM

On Apr 15, 9:19*pm, "alan.holmes" wrote:
Should one use dozens of canes or is there a simple and cheap way to do
this?

Alan

If they are in a greenhouse you need dangling strings. Wind the string
round the plant as it grows. Obviously you need a substantial place
to attach the strings to.
Outdoors you need canes or grow bush varieties.

Baz[_3_] 16-04-2011 01:16 PM

What is the best way to support tomatoes?

harry wrote in news:c669daa2-9cb3-4a2d-ab20-
:

On Apr 15, 9:19*pm, "alan.holmes" wrote:
Should one use dozens of canes or is there a simple and cheap way to do
this?

Alan

If they are in a greenhouse you need dangling strings. Wind the string
round the plant as it grows. Obviously you need a substantial place
to attach the strings to.
Outdoors you need canes or grow bush varieties.

I have used dangling strings outside next to my fence and on the wall ever
since I started gardening a few years ago. It works perfectly and you can
adjust them very easily.
You can use this method for runner beans too, but early in the season the
string has to be anchored to floor/soil to enable the beans to grab the
string and start climbing. At the end of the season throw the lot on the
compost heap, the string will rot too. Not of course synthetics, it has to
be degradable string(very easy to obtain)

If you have open ground and want to use this method please tell me. I have
an answer, a bit long winded and pricey (£15ish)but will pay for its self
over and over.

Baz

Dave Hill 16-04-2011 03:19 PM

On Apr 16, 1:16*pm, Baz wrote:
[...]

In the US they use tomato cages, Google tomato cages in Images for
ideas.

Derek[_6_] 16-04-2011 03:52 PM

What is the best way to support tomatoes?

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 07:19:07 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

tomato cages

Wow, what a choice. liked the 'square' bamboo tripod, (if that makes
sense!)
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

Bobbie[_18_] 16-04-2011 04:05 PM

What is the best way to support tomatoes?

On 16/04/2011 15:57, Janet wrote:
In article0cf8c7aa-7ad3-491b-b893-5b80cb224741
@a11g2000pro.googlegroups.com, says...

On Apr 15, 9:19 pm, wrote:
[...]

You can improvise a US-style outdoor tomato cage with lengths of
rylock stock fence tied into a circle with a ziptie.

Janet

Which is exactly what we use here, and it works a treat.
In fact we tend to use Rylock stock fencing for a lot of things.
Bobbie

alan.holmes 16-04-2011 09:00 PM

On Apr 16, 1:16 pm, Baz wrote:
[...]

What is rylock stock fence?

And what is a ziptie!

And where will I get them?

Alan

Janet

chris French 16-04-2011 10:03 PM

What is the best way to support tomatoes?

In message
,
harry writes
On Apr 15, 9:19*pm, "alan.holmes" wrote:
Should one use dozens of canes or is there a simple and cheap way to do
this?

Alan

If they are in a greenhouse you need dangling strings. Wind the string
round the plant as it grows. Obviously you need a substantial place
to attach the strings to.
Outdoors you need canes or grow bush varieties.

I prefer canes in the GH myself.

I have a wire fixed between the end of the Gh near the roof. I clip the
canes to it with these natty clips from Medwyns:

http://www.medwynsofanglesey.co.uk/shop/SUNDRIES/Jiff-Clip/prod_6.html

They work really well, and are much , much quicker than tying up canes.
We use them for canes for the climbing beans as well.
--
Chris French

Paul Luton[_2_] 16-04-2011 10:31 PM

On 16/04/2011 08:28, harry wrote:
On Apr 15, 9:19 pm, wrote:
Should one use dozens of canes or is there a simple and cheap way to do
this?

Alan

If they are in a greenhouse you need dangling strings. Wind the string
round the plant as it grows. Obviously you need a substantial place
to attach the strings to.

You also need quite substantial string. Beefsteak tomato plants have
managed to snap garden twine.

Dave Hill 17-04-2011 10:48 AM

What is the best way to support tomatoes?

On Apr 17, 10:13*am, Malcolm wrote:
In article , chris French
writes

In message
,
harry writes
On Apr 15, 9:19*pm, "alan.holmes" wrote:
Should one use dozens of canes or is there a simple and cheap way to do
this?

Alan

If they are in a greenhouse you need dangling strings. Wind the string
round the plant as it grows. *Obviously you need a substantial place
to attach the strings to.
Outdoors you need canes or grow bush varieties.

I prefer canes in the GH myself.

I have a wire fixed between the end of the Gh near the roof. I clip the
canes to it with these natty clips from Medwyns:

http://www.medwynsofanglesey.co.uk/shop/SUNDRIES/Jiff-Clip/prod_6.html

They work really well, and are much , much quicker than tying up canes.
We use them for canes for the climbing beans as well.

Am I missing something here? I just push my canes into the soil and they
then don't need tying to anything.

--
Malcolm- Hide quoted text -

If you are using string in a greenhouse then the best way is to tye
the string in a loose loop around the base of the tomato plant, then
wind it anti clockwise round the tomato and take the string to the
wire and tie it with a loop, if you leave plenty of string at the top
then as the plant gets close to the wire you can undoo it and lower
the plant down a couple of feet so that the bottom which has croped is
on the ground and the plant has more roon to grow up.
Well that's how we used to do it in the old days, I must have strung
many thousands of tomatoes in my time.
David

Derek[_6_] 17-04-2011 10:54 AM

What is the best way to support tomatoes?

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 10:13:15 +0100, Malcolm
wrote:

Am I missing something here? I just push my canes into the soil and they
then don't need tying to anything.

If you have a good depth of soil in your greenhouse, fine, but if like
me you are growing out of grow bags, canes need support.
But that's no real problem, string works well, but its growing outdoor
tomatoes, where any passing hurricane brings the whole lot down that
needs a radical rethink on the 'wigwam'
Maybe its the newer varieties that produce so much more fruit and so
need better support?

'Mike'[_4_] 17-04-2011 12:53 PM

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

Should one use dozens of canes or is there a simple and cheap way to do
this?

Alan

We grew our Toms in a huge tub last year under the veranda. I put a double
row of string round the tub just under the lip.

I put a hook in the beam over the centre of the tub. I then measured the lip
to the hook, doubled that finding and 'added a bit'.

I then cut four lengths of string to that length, doubled them in half and
made a loop in the top which I hooked on the hook. I then had eight ends
hanging down

Taking two, I tied them at '12 o'clock' to the string under the lip.
Likewise two at '3 o'clock', '6 o'clock' and the last two at '9 o'clock'

The strings were now tight top and bottom and the Toms were supported by the
strings being passed round the stems.

Great success and no doubt 'The Gardener' will do it again this year. Toms
used were just a shade larger than Cherry Toms.

(We could also pick as required without getting wet as they were under the
veranda)

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

AriesVal[_10_] 18-04-2011 02:04 PM

On Apr 15, 9:19 pm, wrote:
[...]

what a good idea, I'll be trying that this year.

--
Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well
tried before you give them your confidence.

Baz[_3_] 18-04-2011 05:30 PM

What is the best way to support tomatoes?

Baz wrote in
:

If you have open ground and want to use this method please tell me. I
have an answer, a bit long winded and pricey (£15ish)but will pay for
its self over and over.

Baz

This reads wrong. It is not what I meant to say.
It looks like I am trying to sell something. But I was not.

What I meant was that the materials would cost £15. NOT £15 for me to give
you info.

Baz

Frank Booth Snr[_3_] 18-04-2011 07:24 PM

What is the best way to support tomatoes?

Malcolm wrote:

I think the idea is to use the most complicated means of doing a simple
job involving a Phd in mechanical enginerring. I just use a cane and
twine as well. It's never failed me yet.