Old 18-04-2011, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Eradication of Ivy

Can anyone help me to get rid of Ivy. I know there are various types, but I
am seriously allergic to the plant and need to eradicate a fair amount of
the stuff from fence panels, up conifer trunks etc - overgrown from an
alleyway. I'd like to be able to get rid of it from the root source if
possible, but I know that may be a tall order.

Old 19-04-2011, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jo" wrote
Can anyone help me to get rid of Ivy. I know there are various types, but I
am seriously allergic to the plant and need to eradicate a fair amount of
the stuff from fence panels, up conifer trunks etc - overgrown from an
alleyway. I'd like to be able to get rid of it from the root source if
possible, but I know that may be a tall order.

My experience with Ivy is that it will not come up again from the roots so
if you cut it off a few inches below ground level it will die.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-04-2011, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jo
writes
Can anyone help me to get rid of Ivy. I know there are various types, but I
am seriously allergic to the plant and need to eradicate a fair amount of
the stuff from fence panels, up conifer trunks etc - overgrown from an
alleyway. I'd like to be able to get rid of it from the root source if
possible, but I know that may be a tall order.

We have lots of Ivy here, and I've got rid of quite a bit of it.

Killing it is easy enough, cur off near the ground, and then dig out the
main stump/root bit, which is easy enough. You don't need to remove all
the roots or anything, just the main bit IME. I use a mattock to
quickly grub it out, but a spade or something would be fine.

Though if it growing from the base of another plant you might not be
able to get in and remove it easily. In that case careful application of
a weedkiller, Say SBK Brushwood killer or a glyphosphate one might be
the best way. Paint it on, or put some in a plastic bag and then stuff
some of the plant into the bag. It might need multiple applications.

Alternatively, continually cutting back any shoots would eventually kill
it.

The hard part is removing the ivy after you cut it off. The leaves will
fall, and leave the stems, which might be ok on a tree - maybe just
cutting off easy ones, but you' want to get rid of it from the fence
etc. cutting, pulling, and prising it off as appropriate is the order of
the day here.

Presumably, if you are very allergic to it you would want to get someone
else to do this though?

--
Chris French

Old 19-04-2011, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jo" wrote in message
o.uk...
Can anyone help me to get rid of Ivy. I know there are various types, but
I am seriously allergic to the plant and need to eradicate a fair amount
of the stuff from fence panels, up conifer trunks etc - overgrown from an
alleyway. I'd like to be able to get rid of it from the root source if
possible, but I know that may be a tall order.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll get someone to give it a go!
Jo

Old 19-04-2011, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Jo" wrote
Can anyone help me to get rid of Ivy. I know there are various types,
but I am seriously allergic to the plant and need to eradicate a fair
amount of the stuff from fence panels, up conifer trunks etc -
overgrown from an alleyway. I'd like to be able to get rid of it from
the root source if possible, but I know that may be a tall order.

My experience with Ivy is that it will not come up again from the
roots so if you cut it off a few inches below ground level it will
die.

It also doesn't do any harm to use any boiling water you have left over
from cooking, as an extra measure. Weeds too.

Baz

Old 19-04-2011, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote in news:Xns9ECC7CA3A7DD1bazfawltycom@
69.16.176.253:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Jo" wrote
Can anyone help me to get rid of Ivy. I know there are various types,
but I am seriously allergic to the plant and need to eradicate a fair
amount of the stuff from fence panels, up conifer trunks etc -
overgrown from an alleyway. I'd like to be able to get rid of it from
the root source if possible, but I know that may be a tall order.

My experience with Ivy is that it will not come up again from the
roots so if you cut it off a few inches below ground level it will
die.

It also doesn't do any harm to use any boiling water you have left over
from cooking, as an extra measure. Weeds too.

Baz

Sorry for the duplicate, my mistake.

Baz

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Snail eradication? Hal Ponds 13 10-05-2006 12:59 PM
Slug / Snail eradication suggestions? Carl Beyer Ponds 9 07-07-2005 04:13 PM
Bindi eradication/control supajosh Australia 9 29-06-2005 10:01 AM