Old 19-04-2011, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cheaper Tomato Seeds

I went to Homebase, and saw some "Jamie Oliver" compost, and thought yet
another stupid marketing ploy. When I went to look at the seeds (I was
after some Sungold as 5 of mine had failed to germinate) I saw the Jamie
Oliver seeds.
10 Sungold for £1.99 - rather than £2.99 that I usually pay for ten. I
thought "Excellent". I have just sown the 5 I needed - and found that I
actually got 13 !!

(PS I bought my original seeds from Garden4less who do not charge
postage on light seeds - and they are twenty or thirty pence off marked
prices)

Anne

Old 19-04-2011, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote:

Abuse report sent.

Did you feel the OP was touting the discount dealer (even though some of
their seeds apparently didn't germinate)? The price sounds awfully high
for just 10 seeds, but some of the hybrids are dear. I paid US$18
(EUR12.50)for 50 seeds of a rootstock tomato for grafting...
Surely makes my home-saved seeds look like a huge bargain!
I just noticed that there are a bunch of some kind of brassica sprouting in
the driveway (carpark?) where I winnowed some kale and relatives a month or
two ago.
Cold, nasty, drizzly in the northeastern U.S. today; Brits should feel
right at home!

Peace,

Old 19-04-2011, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gary Woods wrote in
:

Baz wrote:

Abuse report sent.

Did you feel the OP was touting the discount dealer (even though some
of their seeds apparently didn't germinate)? The price sounds awfully
high for just 10 seeds, but some of the hybrids are dear. I paid
US$18 (EUR12.50)for 50 seeds of a rootstock tomato for grafting...
Surely makes my home-saved seeds look like a huge bargain!
I just noticed that there are a bunch of some kind of brassica
sprouting in the driveway (carpark?) where I winnowed some kale and
relatives a month or two ago.
Cold, nasty, drizzly in the northeastern U.S. today; Brits should feel
right at home!

Peace,

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420'
elevation. NY WO G

The OP is trying to have us beleive that they are with virginmedia, but are
not. Very dodgy, but not illegal.

It is a pathetic tactic to get us to buy from the message. ie. spam from
garden4less in this case. Read the whole message from the OP to make up
your own mind.

Old 19-04-2011, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gary Woods wrote in
:

Baz wrote:

Abuse report sent.

Did you feel the OP was touting the discount dealer (even though some
of their seeds apparently didn't germinate)? The price sounds awfully
high for just 10 seeds, but some of the hybrids are dear. I paid
US$18 (EUR12.50)for 50 seeds of a rootstock tomato for grafting...
Surely makes my home-saved seeds look like a huge bargain!
I just noticed that there are a bunch of some kind of brassica
sprouting in the driveway (carpark?) where I winnowed some kale and
relatives a month or two ago.
Cold, nasty, drizzly in the northeastern U.S. today; Brits should feel
right at home!

Peace,

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420'
elevation. NY WO G

Read the OP's ps and make up your own mind.

Old 19-04-2011, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Underhill" wrote in message
I went to Homebase, and saw some "Jamie Oliver" compost, and thought yet
another stupid marketing ploy. When I went to look at the seeds (I was
after some Sungold as 5 of mine had failed to germinate) I saw the Jamie
Oliver seeds.
10 Sungold for £1.99 - rather than £2.99 that I usually pay for ten. I
thought "Excellent". I have just sown the 5 I needed - and found that I
actually got 13 !!

(PS I bought my original seeds from Garden4less who do not charge postage
on light seeds - and they are twenty or thirty pence off marked prices)

You are just buying your seeds from the wrong place!

Alan

Anne

Old 21-04-2011, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/04/2011 22:05, Baz wrote:
Gary wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

You are an ignorant fool. Why not email me at my address and see if it
bounces? I could then copy it here to confirm that you are indeed the
fool. You need to get a life.
PS Garden4less have great prices for irrigation components.

Old 21-04-2011, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Anne Underhill wrote in
:

On 19/04/2011 22:05, Baz wrote:
Gary wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

It never occurred to me to e-mail you. Duh. Still bouncing.
If I am an ignorant fool, just ignore me, I really don't mind.
I WILL get a life, I promise seeing as you are so concerned.

Irrigation components are of no interest to me, I always **** the bed
anyway.

Goodbye and best regards,
Baz
Old 21-04-2011, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/04/2011 23:31, alan.holmes wrote:
"Anne wrote in message
I went to Homebase, and saw some "Jamie Oliver" compost, and thought yet
another stupid marketing ploy. When I went to look at the seeds (I was
after some Sungold as 5 of mine had failed to germinate) I saw the Jamie
Oliver seeds.
10 Sungold for £1.99 - rather than £2.99 that I usually pay for ten. I
thought "Excellent". I have just sown the 5 I needed - and found that I
actually got 13 !!

(PS I bought my original seeds from Garden4less who do not charge postage
on light seeds - and they are twenty or thirty pence off marked prices)

You are just buying your seeds from the wrong place!

Alan

So much for my "advert" for them :-)
Old 21-04-2011, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Underhill" wrote in message
On 19/04/2011 22:05, Baz wrote:
Gary wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I did email you and it did bounce, which means that all this is just rubbish
and no one in their right mind would shop at garden4less, if it does exist!

Old 21-04-2011, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/04/2011 19:53, alan.holmes wrote:
"Anne wrote in message
On 19/04/2011 22:05, Baz wrote:
Gary wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I can assure you that my email adress is
"chantilly-lace at virginmedia.com" and works for other people, and I
am happy to respond to any emails I receive. (Did you remove the quote
marks?)
So you would recommned that no one in their right mind would shop at
garden4less even though you don't know if it exists and I assume have
never heard of it. Could you explain that please? Perhaps you can also
share with me and others where you think a better place to buy seeds at
a better price is?
I hope that you don't treat all newcomewrs to the group like this.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
It is a pathetic tactic to get us to buy from the message. ie. spam from
garden4less in this case. Read the whole message from the OP to make up
your own mind.

Seems a bit unlikely given the OP's post was about how they had a bunch of
failed germinations. Didn't sound like a good advert to me. :-)

I want to try starting cucumber seeds, so I have cheaper stock to experiment. Can I do it now in South California? Mark Edible Gardening 3 01-08-2006 12:16 AM
Cheaper Pond liners Newbie Bill Ponds 9 30-08-2004 01:10 AM
Cheaper Pond liners Newbie Bill Ponds 0 15-08-2004 07:13 AM
Cheaper garden mags. Janet Baraclough .. United Kingdom 7 04-03-2004 12:12 PM
(Cheaper) Amquel BenignVanilla Ponds 10 28-06-2003 10:32 PM