Old 24-04-2011, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice please re Ivy

Click twice on the first picture here http://www.myalbum.com/Album=MUKLG34Q
and you will see Ivy growing up a Palm Tree. We find it attractive BUT we
are conscious of the damage Ivy can do to a tree. It was a never ending
battle with a huge Bramley we had at our last house, the one with a big
garden. The gardens here are tiny, so a battle won't ensue.

What are your thoughts?

Mike

South East Coast of the Isle of Wight
Wall to wall sunshine and no rain.

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 24-04-2011, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news
Click twice on the first picture here
http://www.myalbum.com/Album=MUKLG34Q and you will see Ivy growing up a
Palm Tree. We find it attractive BUT we are conscious of the damage Ivy
can do to a tree. It was a never ending battle with a huge Bramley we had
at our last house, the one with a big garden. The gardens here are tiny,
so a battle won't ensue.

What are your thoughts?

Mike

It looks quite nice to me, Mike, but might not be the best place for

Ivy.. (see what Mrs Mike thinks)

At a midlands house where we lived 30 years we had any Ivy happily clinging
up and around a stone and concrete line post - it looked so pretty we hadn't
the heart to disturb it when we had another post and pulleys for line. I
don't know how it first started off.. it was right up to the metal pegs when
we left... I think the purchasers were intrigued too.

Margaret (oop NW England)

Old 24-04-2011, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"The Brownie" me@privacy net. wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks Margaret. 'Mrs Mike' is the gardener with over 50 years experience
and it was she who raised the question, (with the thoughts of our old
Bramley which we think was planted when our house out in the country was
built in 1844) so that is why I put it to the forum ;-))

We also have a concrete line post here. Did have a Russian Vine up it at one
point :-(( big mistake.

We were in the Midlands as well, again with a big garden. But that now has a
couple of blocks of apartments/flats/old peoples bungalow things on it :-))

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 24-04-2011, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

It looks quite nice to me, Mike, but might not be the best place for
Ivy.. (see what Mrs Mike thinks)

At a midlands house where we lived 30 years we had any Ivy happily
clinging up and around a stone and concrete line post - it looked so
pretty we hadn't the heart to disturb it when we had another post and

Thanks Margaret. 'Mrs Mike' is the gardener with over 50 years experience
and it was she who raised the question,

We also have a concrete line post here. Did have a Russian Vine up it at
one point :-(( big mistake.

We were in the Midlands as well, again with a big garden. But that now has
a couple of blocks of apartments/flats/old peoples bungalow things on it
:-))

Mike

Snippetysnipped in a few places..

Interesting that you were in the Midlands,, I wonder if I know where the
blocks of apartments/flats/bungalows are... Coincidence if so.
Was it in the NN8 of Northants, by any chance???

Margaret (???)

Old 24-04-2011, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

[...]

LE5 1DD which is Abbots Road and then look for St Mary's Court which runs
behind Abbots Road and between there and St Mary's Avenue. I had to buy 10
St Mary's to get access to the land I had behind my house in Abbots Road.
1971/2

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 24-04-2011, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Snippetysnipped in a few places..

Interesting that you were in the Midlands,, I wonder if I know where
the
blocks of apartments/flats/bungalows are... Coincidence if so.
Was it in the NN8 of Northants, by any chance???

Margaret (???)

LE5 1DD which is Abbots Road and then look for St Mary's Court which runs
behind Abbots Road and between there and St Mary's Avenue. I had to buy 10
St Mary's to get access to the land I had behind my house in Abbots Road.
1971/2

Mike

Oh, I take that to be Leicestershire. Mike. I dont know Leics very well.
Used to travel through a bit at one time,- through Market Harb. and saw
the Triangular lodge from the coach, etc. My late OH was in Glenfields
Hosp. for a couple of weeks, few years ago. Excellent treatment.

Going off Pooter now- a few things to see to.

Margaret

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 06:08 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 12:52 AM
Advice on Ivy please adm United Kingdom 28 24-04-2008 10:18 PM