GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fibre plant pots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/196569-fibre-plant-pots.html)

Moonraker 24-04-2011 02:55 PM

Fibre plant pots

I was sent free fibre plant pots with my seed order from Dobies. I hate
free offers, why not just reduce the price? Anyway I am finding them
useless. Normally I sow all my brassicas in home made paper pots, these
work fine, never had a failure yet. However all my sowings into the
fibre pots have failed, the reason being that in this weather they dry
out in no time at all. Am I missing something? I really don't want to
water 2 or 3 times a day, anyway I am at an age when I forget anyway! :-(

Dave Hill 24-04-2011 06:54 PM

Fibre plant pots

On Apr 24, 2:55*pm, Moonraker wrote:
I was sent free fibre plant pots with my seed order from Dobies. I hate
free offers, why not just reduce the price? Anyway I am finding them
useless. Normally I sow all my brassicas in home made paper pots, these
work fine, never had a failure yet. However all my sowings into the
fibre pots have failed, the reason being that in this weather they dry
out in no time at all. Am I missing something? I really don't want to
water 2 or 3 times a day, anyway I am at an age when I forget anyway! :-(

Fibre pots work well under normal conditions but I'd never use them
for seed sowing.
Just because you had them with your seed didn't mean that you had to
use them for seed, they are best for growing plants on in so you can
plant out without and root disturbance.

Mike Lyle[_1_] 24-04-2011 11:47 PM

Fibre plant pots

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 10:54:40 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On Apr 24, 2:55*pm, Moonraker wrote:
I was sent free fibre plant pots with my seed order from Dobies. I hate
free offers, why not just reduce the price? Anyway I am finding them
useless. Normally I sow all my brassicas in home made paper pots, these
work fine, never had a failure yet. However all my sowings into the
fibre pots have failed, the reason being that in this weather they dry
out in no time at all. Am I missing something? I really don't want to
water 2 or 3 times a day, anyway I am at an age when I forget anyway! :-(

Fibre pots work well under normal conditions but I'd never use them
for seed sowing.
Just because you had them with your seed didn't mean that you had to
use them for seed, they are best for growing plants on in so you can
plant out without and root disturbance.

And they vary a great deal. I imagine Dobie's would have given you
good ones, but there are some made of recycled paper fibres which are
far too solid.

--
Mike.

No Name 03-05-2011 03:34 PM

Fibre plant pots

Moonraker wrote:
I was sent free fibre plant pots with my seed order from Dobies. I hate
free offers, why not just reduce the price? Anyway I am finding them
useless. Normally I sow all my brassicas in home made paper pots, these
work fine, never had a failure yet. However all my sowings into the
fibre pots have failed, the reason being that in this weather they dry
out in no time at all. Am I missing something? I really don't want to
water 2 or 3 times a day, anyway I am at an age when I forget anyway! :-(

I tried paper pots for my beans last year and they all rotted and turned to
mush before the beans went out. :-(