Old 29-04-2011, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dustbin

My round dustbin has been replaced by one the modern bins. So I have
an old round dustbin. One of my helpers has suggested I grow a plant
in the bin that grows down the outside or the bin and hides it as much
as possible.

What is a suitable plant?

Steve

Old 29-04-2011, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 11:51:02 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

My round dustbin has been replaced by one the modern bins. So I have
an old round dustbin. One of my helpers has suggested I grow a plant
in the bin that grows down the outside or the bin and hides it as much
as possible.

What is a suitable plant?

Steve

You could plant nasturtiums in it for a quick cover, but I'd take out
the bottom, stand it on bare earth and use it as a compost bin.

Pam in Bristol
Old 29-04-2011, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
Janet wrote in
:

In article ,
says...

My round dustbin has been replaced by one the modern bins. So I have
an old round dustbin. One of my helpers has suggested I grow a plant
in the bin that grows down the outside or the bin and hides it as
much as possible.

What is a suitable plant?

Steve

I saved our old bin and its heavy lid, it lives beside my potting
table
and I decant sacks of potting compost into it for easy access and use.
I also acquired a neighbours old bin which is earmarked to have its
bottom cut out, then it will be buried underground to contain a bamboo
(phyllostachys aurea) in a spot I don't want it to wander from.

If I was going to plant up a bin I'd probably cut portholes in the
sides and plant strawberries in it.

Janet

If the old galvanised bin is truly a relic(not repro) it is worth
preserving because they are already being sought after by collectors and
museums as part of our social history in the UK. So I would put it
somewhere safe and not put anything in it. Just a thought. You can't BUY
history when history is gone.

Baz

For example
http://www.svr.co.uk/

I take a group, usually a couple of coachloads, each year to the 1940's
weekend

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 30-04-2011, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

My round dustbin has been replaced by one the modern bins. So I have
an old round dustbin. One of my helpers has suggested I grow a plant
in the bin that grows down the outside or the bin and hides it as much
as possible.

What is a suitable plant?

Steve

You could plant nasturtiums in it for a quick cover, but I'd take out
the bottom, stand it on bare earth and use it as a compost bin.

Pam in Bristol

Maybe you would have trouble making hole, at least neat ones. Perhaps
you could bash a few hole around it, then stand it on bricks or similar
then use it as an incinerator.

Old 30-04-2011, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

If the old galvanised bin is truly a relic(not repro) it is worth
preserving because they are already being sought after by collectors

Dustbin collectors LOL

Martin, behave yourself :-)

I should have said collectors of post WW2 memorabilia. Probably the 1950's
and 60's. Not just bloody dustbins.

Actually I have a red one, a brown one and a green one in the back garden
so maybe i'm a bit of a collector too! :-(

Baz
Old 30-04-2011, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 29, 11:51*am, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:
My round dustbin has been replaced by one the modern bins. So I have
an old round dustbin. One of my helpers has suggested I grow a plant
in the bin that grows down the outside or the bin and hides it as much
as possible.

What is a suitable plant?

Steve

If it's watertight, you could use it as a butt. One of my friends has
an old bin outside the kitchen door. They collect all the water from
washing/straining vegetables in a bucket under the kitchen tap and tip
it into the bin/butt when full. I just leave the watering-can outside
the door instead. Either way, use the water asap, as it gets smelly.

Chris
Old 30-04-2011, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 08:54:14 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 16:15:24 GMT, Baz wrote:

Janet wrote in
:

[...]
If I was going to plant up a bin I'd probably cut portholes in the
sides and plant strawberries in it.

Janet

If the old galvanised bin is truly a relic(not repro) it is worth
preserving because they are already being sought after by collectors

Dustbin collectors LOL

The mind does boggle, rather. Sometimes I despair of the human race.
Note that repros are apparently available: don't get ripped off with a
fake garbage can! (On reflection, there's a swish catalogue outfit
that sells, among other things, ready-rusted fake factory furniture. I
bet that's where you'd go for a counterfeit dustbin...£150, probably.)
--
Mike.
Old 30-04-2011, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
[...]

You think this is a new thing?

Forget it.

A relation of my wife's was, before we were married, and that is a long time
ago viz http://www.myalbum.com/Album=UI8UK7XD, 'making' antiques and
flogging them to the Yanks. Swords, Armour, Shields etc. Tons of steel out
in the yard in water going rusty and "ageing"