GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   From over seas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/196697-over-seas.html)

'Mike'[_4_] 30-04-2011 04:56 PM

From over seas

From your visits overseas, what have you tried to incorporate into your
United Kingdom garden?

I can think of some I would like to implement, but my wife, who after 50
years of gardening knows better says 'No', is one at a Private Club in St
Lucia I was honoured to visit.

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

harry 01-05-2011 06:45 AM

From over seas

On Apr 30, 4:56*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
From your visits overseas, what have you tried to incorporate into your
United Kingdom garden?

I can think of some I would like to implement, but my wife, who after 50
years of gardening knows better says 'No', is one at a Private Club in St
Lucia I was honoured to visit.

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

While walking round Sacsayhuamen, I noticed some tiny blue lupins
growing wild.I collected some seed but it never came to anything.
It's quite amazing travelling round South America when you see a
"garden plant" growing wild.
I once came across several huge areas of "Busy Lizzie" (Impatiens) in
the mountains of Panama. I assumed it was native but it actually
comes from East Africa I found out later.. I have never seen it there
though.
I saw wild dahlias in the same area, also many different orchids, no
idea what sort they were.

Craven 03-05-2011 09:30 PM

From over seas

On 30/04/2011 16:56, 'Mike' wrote:
From your visits overseas, what have you tried to incorporate into your
United Kingdom garden?

I can think of some I would like to implement, but my wife, who after 50
years of gardening knows better says 'No', is one at a Private Club in St
Lucia I was honoured to visit.

Mike

I haven't planted anything outside, but I was diving in Tenerife years
ago and (on land obviously :-) found an arm of a cactus that had fallen
off. It's now growing in my living room and looks lovely - and there's a
nice story behind it.