GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New apple tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/197096-new-apple-tree.html)

Chris J Dixon 18-05-2011 03:16 PM

New apple tree

I have a dwarf family apple tree, planted this spring, and
understand that it should not be allowed to bear fruit this year.

At what point should they be removed? Some of them are about the
size of a marble already.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Stephen Wolstenholme 18-05-2011 04:00 PM

New apple tree

On Wed, 18 May 2011 15:16:39 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

I have a dwarf family apple tree, planted this spring, and
understand that it should not be allowed to bear fruit this year.

At what point should they be removed? Some of them are about the
size of a marble already.

I followed the instructions with my "dwarf" apple tree and the first
year removed all the fruit. The fruit were not even the size of
marbles. It now produces a massive number of apples. It is over
fifteen feet high so no longer a dwarf.

Steve

--
Neural network applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

kay 18-05-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris J Dixon (Post 922007)
I have a dwarf family apple tree, planted this spring, and
understand that it should not be allowed to bear fruit this year.

At what point should they be removed? Some of them are about the
size of a marble already.
.

If you're going to remove them, the sooner the better. Every bit of effort that the plant puts into swelling a fruit is effort it won't be putting into growth of branches and roots.