Old 26-05-2011, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cat deterrent

I'm desperate. Can anyone recommend any cat deterrent that works.

We live on an estate and there are at least 12 cats within 25 yards up
and down the road, and they're using my front garden as a cat toilet.
It doesn't help that ours is the only front garden with turned earth on
it, the rest of the estate all seem to favour grass lawns. Now I know
why.

We've tried the electronic cat scarer and it's useless. I tried netting
the flower bed and they actually crap on the net. I've tried timber
laths with nails on it, to no affect.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far

Old 26-05-2011, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1k1vy3u.16ceec0yy2pgkN%pfjames2000@googlemail .com...
I'm desperate. Can anyone recommend any cat deterrent that works.

We live on an estate and there are at least 12 cats within 25 yards up
and down the road, and they're using my front garden as a cat toilet.
It doesn't help that ours is the only front garden with turned earth on
it, the rest of the estate all seem to favour grass lawns. Now I know
why.

We've tried the electronic cat scarer and it's useless. I tried netting
the flower bed and they actually crap on the net. I've tried timber
laths with nails on it, to no affect.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
from being gruntled.
P.G. Wodehouse 1881 -1975

Snare

Skin

Cook

Taste like Rabbit :-))

(Now watch)

:-))

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 26-05-2011, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Malcolm
writes
On 26/05/2011 17:39, Peter James wrote:
I'm desperate. Can anyone recommend any cat deterrent that works.

We live on an estate and there are at least 12 cats within 25 yards up
and down the road, and they're using my front garden as a cat toilet.
It doesn't help that ours is the only front garden with turned earth on
it, the rest of the estate all seem to favour grass lawns. Now I know
why.

We've tried the electronic cat scarer and it's useless. I tried netting
the flower bed and they actually crap on the net. I've tried timber
laths with nails on it, to no affect.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Peter

Land Mines?
Malcolm

Get a cat.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 26-05-2011, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 26 May 2011 17:39:35 +0100, (Peter
James) wrote:

I'm desperate. Can anyone recommend any cat deterrent that works.

We live on an estate and there are at least 12 cats within 25 yards up
and down the road, and they're using my front garden as a cat toilet.
It doesn't help that ours is the only front garden with turned earth on
it, the rest of the estate all seem to favour grass lawns. Now I know
why.

We've tried the electronic cat scarer and it's useless. I tried netting
the flower bed and they actually crap on the net. I've tried timber
laths with nails on it, to no affect.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Peter

If anyone comes up with practical solutions to deter cats AND foxes
(other than John Peel or high velocity Lead solutions) I'd be
interested to hear.

I'm not against either in principle, but I'm fed up with the
excavations in and the cr@p on the lawn. The illegitimi manage to get
their noses and/or paws through all of the defences that I've
established to date.

I tried extra hot Chilli powder. Apparently neither cats nor foxes
are deterred by chemically hot food. May have to try putting out bait
annointed with Pure Cap, just to see if they're hard enough.

Tomorrow may be fun if the weather hangs out, one of my composters
appears to be harbouring rats - too big to be mice. I need some
organic material in a new bed, recently excavated from lawn. If I
empty it, the foxes may take the rodents, giving my lawn a break.

Regards
JonH

Old 26-05-2011, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message ,

Get a cat.
--
hugh

I was going to suggest that myself. Your own cat will see off any other cat
in its territory.
It's a severe solution, I know, but in the position you find yourself in
it's either that or have a lawn like the others.
Tina

Old 26-05-2011, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
If anyone comes up with practical solutions to deter cats AND foxes
(other than John Peel or high velocity Lead solutions) I'd be
interested to hear.

I'm not against either in principle, but I'm fed up with the
excavations in and the cr@p on the lawn. The illegitimi manage to get
their noses and/or paws through all of the defences that I've
established to date.

I've heard that diesel-soaked rags stuffed in the excavation foxes make
under your fence will prevent them using that hole again.
Whether they will just move along a bit and dig under again seems quite
likely though. If you only have a reasonably small garden I can imagine a
scenerio where underneath all fences as they are dug under by foxes is then
stuffed with diesel rags and that should work!
If you have a large garden with a lot of fences, like mine, you'll probably
have to learn to live with it.

Tina

Old 26-05-2011, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

James) wrote:

I'm desperate. Can anyone recommend any cat deterrent that works.

We live on an estate and there are at least 12 cats within 25 yards up
and down the road, and they're using my front garden as a cat toilet.
It doesn't help that ours is the only front garden with turned earth on
it, the rest of the estate all seem to favour grass lawns. Now I know
why.

We've tried the electronic cat scarer and it's useless. I tried netting
the flower bed and they actually crap on the net. I've tried timber
laths with nails on it, to no affect.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Peter

For about 18 years, like you I swore daily! I've tried just about
every solution known to man (or woman) - electric deterrents (the cats
curl up around them), lion dung (deterred me but not the cats), sticks
soaked in Renardine (no longer available and didn't work anyway) to
name a few. The only partial success was with a device that sprayed
water whenever its PIR was triggered. That seemed to scare off the
cats but the postman didn't like it at all!

Then one of the formerly offending cats decided to move from a few
doors down the road. I now have to feed him and all that but since he
moved in, the problem has disappeared completely. And the joke is that
whilst he's now trained to a litter tray, if he can't get to it he
goes back to his former home to do the biz. It may help that he's a
very dominant male (though snipped twice if you know what I mean) and
when he's on patrol all the other cats run away.

So go and get yourself a strong tom cat from the local cat's rehoming
centre.

Old 27-05-2011, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

James) wrote:

[...]

Doesn't need to be a Tom. My cat Cassie is a girl, and she's as fierce at
seeing off other cats as can be. The only time I see another cat in the
garden, it's running at top speed to get through the "enemy territory".

Ian

Old 27-05-2011, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B"
Doesn't need to be a Tom. My cat Cassie is a girl, and she's as fierce at
seeing off other cats as can be. The only time I see another cat in the
garden, it's running at top speed to get through the "enemy territory".

In my experience a neutered Tom can get quite laid back as they age but a
neutered female is still feisty and single minded about such things to the
end. Especially a female pedigree cat that hates oiks!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-05-2011, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 May 2011 19:02:28 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Ian B"
Doesn't need to be a Tom. My cat Cassie is a girl, and she's as fierce at
seeing off other cats as can be. The only time I see another cat in the
garden, it's running at top speed to get through the "enemy territory".

In my experience a neutered Tom can get quite laid back as they age but a
neutered female is still feisty and single minded about such things to the
end. Especially a female pedigree cat that hates oiks!

Maybe the difference is that my tom wasn't neutered until he moved
in. For that matter, nor had he ever been innoculated for the usual
things, wormed or whatever. So he had a few years to impregnate any
females in the vicinity and to do whatever tom cats do. I notice him
occasionally trying to scent - tail held high and all that - but
nothing comes out!

Today he earned some extra treats - he rang his doorbell (that's
another story) and sat proudly as the door was opened and he displayed
the dead rat he'd brought home. A clean kill - he kills rats and moles
with a single bite wound across the back of the neck but carefully
carries the occasional mouse or shrew back for us to chase around the
house and they rarely have a wound! The quantity of tail-less slow
worms around her is another story, though!
Old 27-05-2011, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Ian B"
Doesn't need to be a Tom. My cat Cassie is a girl, and she's as
fierce at seeing off other cats as can be. The only time I see
another cat in the garden, it's running at top speed to get through
the "enemy territory".

In my experience a neutered Tom can get quite laid back as they age
but a neutered female is still feisty and single minded about such
things to the end. Especially a female pedigree cat that hates oiks!

Cassie is a purebred moggie, a rescue cat from the streets

She's never tolerated other cats for a second. She's also a fierce
mouser/ratter. I went out into the garden one morning to find a scene of
utter carnage- NINE dead rats, laid out beyond the door! It was like the
Somme. But with rats, kind of thing.

Ian

Old 27-05-2011, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 May 2011 19:25:46 +0100, "Ian B"
wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Ian B"
Doesn't need to be a Tom. My cat Cassie is a girl, and she's as
fierce at seeing off other cats as can be. The only time I see
another cat in the garden, it's running at top speed to get through
the "enemy territory".

In my experience a neutered Tom can get quite laid back as they age
but a neutered female is still feisty and single minded about such
things to the end. Especially a female pedigree cat that hates oiks!

Cassie is a purebred moggie, a rescue cat from the streets

She's never tolerated other cats for a second. She's also a fierce
mouser/ratter. I went out into the garden one morning to find a scene of
utter carnage- NINE dead rats, laid out beyond the door! It was like the
Somme. But with rats, kind of thing.

Ian

And they (whoever they are) say that cats don't go for rats! Could I
perhaps send my adoptive cat to yours for lessons? One or two maybe
but never nine! The farmer next door is about to harvest and this is
the time of year when neighbours keep the toddlers indoors or under
close supervision!

Jake
Old 28-05-2011, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Peter James wrote:

I'm desperate. Can anyone recommend any cat deterrent that works.

We live on an estate and there are at least 12 cats within 25 yards up
and down the road, and they're using my front garden as a cat toilet.
It doesn't help that ours is the only front garden with turned earth on
it, the rest of the estate all seem to favour grass lawns. Now I know
why.

We've tried the electronic cat scarer and it's useless. I tried netting
the flower bed and they actually crap on the net. I've tried timber
laths with nails on it, to no affect.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Peter

I researched the problem thoroughly and the last option is to try pepper
dust and another pwder that claims to be better at deterring cats. If
all else fails then I'm buying a small batterey operated electric
fencer. It works off torch batteries and will energise sufficient
fencer wire to make the front and rear garden cat proof. The total cost
will be in the region of £60. But job done.

As an ex farm machinery and sundries salesman I know enough about
fencers to ensure this will work.
Once done I'll report back to the NG.

Peter