Old 30-05-2011, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default The rain it's still a raining

Checked at 10am and we had had 0.85 inches and it's still raining, no
way I'll be able to get on the ground to get the dahlias planted for a
few days now.
Just when I had thought I would be able to get them planted earlier
than normal the weather wad to take a hand.
I've managed to get 50 of the tree dahlias planted but I still have
about 30 more to get planted then around 5'000 ordinary dahlias and
around 800 seedlings.
David Hill
Old 30-05-2011, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 30 May 2011 Sacha wrote:

Checked at 10am and we had had 0.85 inches and it's still raining, no
way I'll be able to get on the ground to get the dahlias planted for a
few days now.
Just when I had thought I would be able to get them planted earlier
than normal the weather wad to take a hand.
I've managed to get 50 of the tree dahlias planted but I still have
about 30 more to get planted then around 5'000 ordinary dahlias and
around 800 seedlings.
David Hill

I don't know how much we had here last night but it looks like a
goodish drop came down. How much it's done for the garden has yet to
be seen but as we've just planted a new Hosta bed, we're glad to see
even a little rain!

It hasn't got here yet! :-(

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 30-05-2011, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 30 May 2011 David Rance wrote:

I don't know how much we had here last night but it looks like a
goodish drop came down. How much it's done for the garden has yet to
seen but as we've just planted a new Hosta bed, we're glad to see even
a little rain!

It hasn't got here yet! :-(

It's just started! Hooray!

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 30-05-2011, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David Rance
writes
On Mon, 30 May 2011 Sacha wrote:

Checked at 10am and we had had 0.85 inches and it's still raining, no
way I'll be able to get on the ground to get the dahlias planted for a
few days now.
Just when I had thought I would be able to get them planted earlier
than normal the weather wad to take a hand.
I've managed to get 50 of the tree dahlias planted but I still have
about 30 more to get planted then around 5'000 ordinary dahlias and
around 800 seedlings.
David Hill

I don't know how much we had here last night but it looks like a
goodish drop came down. How much it's done for the garden has yet to
be seen but as we've just planted a new Hosta bed, we're glad to see
even a little rain!

It hasn't got here yet! :-(

David

We're just above 50% of monthly average now.

--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 30-05-2011, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 May 2011 David Rance wrote:

I don't know how much we had here last night but it looks like a goodish
drop came down. How much it's done for the garden has yet to seen but as
we've just planted a new Hosta bed, we're glad to see even a little rain!

It hasn't got here yet! :-(

It's just started! Hooray!

David

http://rance.org.uk

Nothing on this part of the South East Coast of the Isle of Wight

:-((

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 30-05-2011, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote ..

Checked at 10am and we had had 0.85 inches and it's still raining, no
way I'll be able to get on the ground to get the dahlias planted for a
few days now.
Just when I had thought I would be able to get them planted earlier
than normal the weather wad to take a hand.
I've managed to get 50 of the tree dahlias planted but I still have
about 30 more to get planted then around 5'000 ordinary dahlias and
around 800 seedlings.

You are all really annoying me now, we spent an hour and a half watering
today as usual. When I planted the tomatoes out yesterday the holes kept
falling in because the ground was so dry and powdery (it's clay/silt!!), not
much sign of moisture. It's drizzling now but it won't be enough to do
anything unless it gets heavier and keeps it up all night.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-05-2011, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 30 May 2011 16:21:16 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote ..

Checked at 10am and we had had 0.85 inches and it's still raining, no
way I'll be able to get on the ground to get the dahlias planted for a
few days now.
Just when I had thought I would be able to get them planted earlier
than normal the weather wad to take a hand.
I've managed to get 50 of the tree dahlias planted but I still have
about 30 more to get planted then around 5'000 ordinary dahlias and
around 800 seedlings.

You are all really annoying me now, we spent an hour and a half watering
today as usual. When I planted the tomatoes out yesterday the holes kept
falling in because the ground was so dry and powdery (it's clay/silt!!), not
much sign of moisture. It's drizzling now but it won't be enough to do
anything unless it gets heavier and keeps it up all night.

Sorry Bob! The Met Office seems to think that what you're getting
won't last much longer but then that's it till at least Saturday.
Haven't had that much here (east end of Swansea Bay) other than that
blowy drizzle that finds its way through whatever waterproof you're
wearing. Dave Hill's only the other end of the Bay and he's getting
overdosed by the wet stuff. But that seems to be the norm these days -
I guess elevation is the cause.

The good thing about the blowy drizzle stuff is that it brings the
slugs out in the daytime when they're easier to see and my little salt
bucket has filled up nicely with lots of little ones, about an inch
long. Nothing big though, presumably thanks to some rather overweight
hedgehogs. For some reason these little slugs don't appear in heavy
rain.
Old 30-05-2011, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
On Mon, 30 May 2011 16:21:16 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote ..

[...]

River Tawe, half way between you and Dave, in spate today.

Bill