GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   brambles growing in lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/197856-brambles-growing-lawn.html)

shopgirl771 31-05-2011 06:30 PM

brambles growing in lawn

hi all.
first time posting here and very much a gardening novice.
im hoping some helpful soul might have some tips on how i can get rid of the brambles ive got sprouting up all over my lawn.
at present i just keep cutting them down and spraying the area/top of root with roundup or weedol but they keep growing back :(

kay 31-05-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shopgirl771 (Post 924967)
hi all.
first time posting here and very much a gardening novice.
im hoping some helpful soul might have some tips on how i can get rid of the brambles ive got sprouting up all over my lawn.
at present i just keep cutting them down and spraying the area/top of root with roundup or weedol but they keep growing back :(

If you are mowing the lawn on a weekly basis, you shouldn't have problems with brambles - you keep cutting off the leaves, and there's only so much food stored in the roots - eventually you'll starve them.

Grass is very sensitive to round-up, so trying to apply this to anything growing in a lawn is dangerous.

Are you sure they're brambles?

Mike Lyle[_1_] 31-05-2011 11:25 PM

brambles growing in lawn

On Tue, 31 May 2011 17:30:29 +0000, shopgirl771
wrote:

hi all.
first time posting here and very much a gardening novice.
im hoping some helpful soul might have some tips on how i can get rid of
the brambles ive got sprouting up all over my lawn.
at present i just keep cutting them down and spraying the area/top of
root with roundup or weedol but they keep growing back :(

Read the instructions! Plants absorb glyphosate through the leaves, so
if you cut them back before spraying, all you'll do is kill grass.

You can dig out the central crown of each little bramble if you have
the patience. I once turned a fair-sized patch of brambles into a lawn
without using weedkiller at all. But if you want to use the chemical,
let them grow some nice fresh leaves. Only then cut slots in some
pieces of cardboard or plastic, slip them underneath to protect the
grass, and spray, or apply with a paintbrush.

You'll probably need to repeat the treatment, and you'll get some new
ones germinating from seeds left behind by the old plants, but it's a
winnable battle, I promise you.

--
Mike.

Bob Hobden 01-06-2011 08:13 AM

brambles growing in lawn

"shopgirl771" wrote

hi all.
first time posting here and very much a gardening novice.
im hoping some helpful soul might have some tips on how i can get rid of
the brambles ive got sprouting up all over my lawn.
at present i just keep cutting them down and spraying the area/top of
root with roundup or weedol but they keep growing back :(

Just keep mowing and it will kill them within a season.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

shopgirl771 01-06-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kay (Post 924969)
If you are mowing the lawn on a weekly basis, you shouldn't have problems with brambles - you keep cutting off the leaves, and there's only so much food stored in the roots - eventually you'll starve them.

Grass is very sensitive to round-up, so trying to apply this to anything growing in a lawn is dangerous.

Are you sure they're brambles?

im not mowing my lawn that regularly as im repairing patches atm hence why i keep manually cutting them back.
im pretty sure they are brambles. they look just like the ones growing up the side of the garden in big bushes with all the other weeds i cant get to behind the fence.

shopgirl771 01-06-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Lyle[_1_] (Post 925040)

thanks for the tips. i have been very careful in applying weed killer so as not to damage the surrounding grass. its a bit of a surgical experience tbh. lol.