GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hedgehogs down (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/197873-hedgehogs-down.html)

'Mike'[_4_] 01-06-2011 08:05 AM

Hedgehogs down

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wil...ock-paths.html

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Hugh Jampton 01-06-2011 08:20 PM

Hedgehogs down

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 08:05:27 +0100, 'Mike' wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wil...ock-paths.html

Worrying :-(

My veg garden is having big problems ATM caused by (I think) foxes.
Destroying all sorts of things they are :-( I'm in the process of putting
chicken wire all around the garden to stop them getting in - or I *was*
until I read that article. I have hedgehogs in the garden as well and I
don't want to give them problems.

Will be contacting an old friend who is involved with caring for hedgehogs
and will ask for advice.

Thanks for the link to that article.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

pied piper[_2_] 02-06-2011 09:01 AM

Hedgehogs down

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 08:05:27 +0100, 'Mike' wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wil...ock-paths.html

Worrying :-(

My veg garden is having big problems ATM caused by (I think) foxes.
Destroying all sorts of things they are :-( I'm in the process of putting
chicken wire all around the garden to stop them getting in - or I *was*
until I read that article. I have hedgehogs in the garden as well and I
don't want to give them problems.

Will be contacting an old friend who is involved with caring for hedgehogs
and will ask for advice.

Thanks for the link to that article.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Had the same problem with my veg seedlings dug up etc thought it was cats
or foxes . It turned out to be hedgehogs diggging up my veg patch.

Anthony Frost 02-06-2011 09:25 PM

Hedgehogs down

Hugh Jampton writes:

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 08:05:27 +0100, 'Mike' wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wil...ock-paths.html

Worrying :-(

My veg garden is having big problems ATM caused by (I think) foxes.
Destroying all sorts of things they are :-( I'm in the process of putting
chicken wire all around the garden to stop them getting in - or I *was*
until I read that article. I have hedgehogs in the garden as well and I
don't want to give them problems.

Hedgehogs are very good at limbo. Leave a slot about an inch and a
half high at ground level and they'll be fine.

A few years ago I was partway through repairing the side door to my
garage and had a gap at the bottom waiting for me to finish carving a
new drip block from a lump of 2x2 and fit it. It being a fine evening
I was sitting on the back door step and watched as a hedgehog wandered
up to the garage, ducked under the door, checked for slugs and snails
inside, and wandered out again. It hardly slowed down as it rippled
under.

Anthony

nickkhun23 03-06-2011 03:21 AM

Great post! It's very nice . Thank you so much for your post.

Hugh Jampton 03-06-2011 09:23 PM

Hedgehogs down

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 09:01:54 +0100, pied piper wrote:

Had the same problem with my veg seedlings dug up etc thought it was cats
or foxes . It turned out to be hedgehogs diggging up my veg patch.

Certainly not the hedgehogs doing it here. Big paw prints all over the
garden. Thought at first it was a dog but just can't imaging how a dog
would get into out garden regularly. Had the odd cat in the garden for
years but no damage caused. Can only think it's a fox .... or possibly a
badger ?
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Hugh Jampton 03-06-2011 09:26 PM

Hedgehogs down

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 21:25:16 +0100, Anthony Frost wrote:

Hedgehogs are very good at limbo. Leave a slot about an inch and a
half high at ground level and they'll be fine.

Thanks for that suggestion. This is what I'm now looking at. If I continue
putting the chicken wire *all* the way around the garden (it's big) then
I'll certainly make sure the hedgehogs can get in and out without problems.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Dave Liquorice[_2_] 03-06-2011 11:50 PM

Hedgehogs down

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 21:23:05 +0100, Hugh Jampton wrote:

Can only think it's a fox .... or possibly a badger ?

Badger prints are quite different to dog/fox. They are broad and have
five inline toe/claw marks not four arranged two fore, two aft (for
want of a better description).

Badger and dog:
http://www.badgers.org.uk/badgerpage...badger-29.html

Fox and dog:
http://www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/imag...paw_prints.gif

--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Hill 04-06-2011 09:24 AM

Hedgehogs down

On Jun 3, 11:50*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 21:23:05 +0100, Hugh Jampton wrote:
Can only think it's a fox .... or possibly a badger ?

Badger prints are quite different to dog/fox. They are broad and have
five inline toe/claw marks not four arranged two fore, two aft (for
want of a better description).

Badger and dog:http://www.badgers.org.uk/badgerpage...badger-29.html

Fox and dog:http://www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/imag...paw_prints.gif

--
Cheers
Dave.

I keep looking at the Heading "Hedgehogs down"
Goose down, Eider down I know but Hedgehog down, I didn't even know
they had feathers.

David in Normandy[_8_] 04-06-2011 09:40 AM

Hedgehogs down

On 04/06/2011 10:24, Dave Hill wrote:
On Jun 3, 11:50 pm, "Dave
wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 21:23:05 +0100, Hugh Jampton wrote:
Can only think it's a fox .... or possibly a badger ?

Badger prints are quite different to dog/fox. They are broad and have
five inline toe/claw marks not four arranged two fore, two aft (for
want of a better description).

Badger and dog:http://www.badgers.org.uk/badgerpage...badger-29.html

Fox and dog:http://www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/imag...paw_prints.gif

--
Cheers
Dave.

I keep looking at the Heading "Hedgehogs down"
Goose down, Eider down I know but Hedgehog down, I didn't even know
they had feathers.

Don't they use hedgehog down on beds of nails? ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Hugh Jampton 04-06-2011 08:04 PM

Hedgehogs down

On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 23:50:43 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

Can only think it's a fox .... or possibly a badger ?

Badger prints are quite different to dog/fox. They are broad and have
five inline toe/claw marks not four arranged two fore, two aft (for
want of a better description).

Badger and dog:
http://www.badgers.org.uk/badgerpage...badger-29.html

Fox and dog:
http://www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/imag...paw_prints.gif

Thanks for those links Dave. Shows my problem is not a badger ! 99% sure
it's a fox now.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton