GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   mulching with hay (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/197945-re-mulching-hay.html)

harry 03-06-2011 08:28 PM

mulching with hay

On Jun 3, 2:32*pm, Emery Davis wrote:
I've mulched with straw before with good results, but never tried hay.
My sense has been that it will bog down too much during a wet winter.

Does anyone use hay, and if so how thick do you put it on?

The story's a bit daft, because of the drought we have the right in
France to give away our hay (normally illegal unless you pay the fee to
be a farmer, and taxes too!) this year, so I'll end up with a few tonnes
if I want them.

Thanks

-E

Lots of grass seed in hay. Considered a good thing by farmers as it
ups the energy value. Lots may grow in your garden.