GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   B****y squirrels (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/198212-b%2A%2A%2A%2Ay-squirrels.html)

[email protected] 13-06-2011 07:20 AM

B****y squirrels

Two years ago the squirrels had most of our strawberry crop, so we had
a fruit cage made by a local blacksmith (the same price as Agriframes
but much stronger. Last year we had a complete glut of strawberries.

Yesterday morning, I discovered that the squirrels were gnawing
through the plastic netting nag getting, letting the blackbirds and
thrushes in as well. I spent two hours in the rain fitting chicken
netting round the base, so now we hall have to see if they climb up
that and attack from higher up. might be time for the trap!

Jonathan

'Mike'[_4_] 13-06-2011 07:29 AM

B****y squirrels

wrote in message
Two years ago the squirrels had most of our strawberry crop, so we had
a fruit cage made by a local blacksmith (the same price as Agriframes
but much stronger. Last year we had a complete glut of strawberries.

Yesterday morning, I discovered that the squirrels were gnawing
through the plastic netting nag getting, letting the blackbirds and
thrushes in as well. I spent two hours in the rain fitting chicken
netting round the base, so now we hall have to see if they climb up
that and attack from higher up. might be time for the trap!

Jonathan

Don't fix the top of the netting, so if they do climb up it, their weight
will cause it to fall outwards.

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Derek Turner 13-06-2011 09:32 AM

B****y squirrels

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 23:20:21 -0700, tredingtonmill wrote:

might be time for the trap!

Yep. No 4 Fenn trap from your local gunsmith. Cook as for rabbit.
Delicious.

Granity 13-06-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Turner (Post 926674)
On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 23:20:21 -0700, tredingtonmill wrote:

might be time for the trap!

Yep. No 4 Fenn trap from your local gunsmith. Cook as for rabbit.
Delicious.

Prefer them as paté personally

Rod[_5_] 13-06-2011 06:44 PM

B****y squirrels

On Jun 13, 7:20*am, wrote:
Two years ago the squirrels had most of our strawberry crop, so we had
a fruit cage made by a local blacksmith (the same price as Agriframes
but much stronger. Last year we had a complete glut of strawberries.

Yesterday morning, I discovered that the squirrels were gnawing
through the plastic netting nag getting, letting the blackbirds and
thrushes in as well. I spent two hours in the rain fitting chicken
netting round the base, so now we hall have to see if they climb up
that and attack from higher up. might be time for the trap!

Jonathan

Forget the trap, there'll be other squirrels and no fruit. Wire
netting is the only answer, squirrels will destroy anything else if
there's cherries or strawberries on the other side

alan.holmes 13-06-2011 08:21 PM

B****y squirrels

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 23:20:21 -0700, tredingtonmill wrote:

might be time for the trap!

Yep. No 4 Fenn trap from your local gunsmith. Cook as for rabbit.
Delicious.

That's the answer, but I've never caught one which had enough meat on it to
make it worth while cooking!

Alan

Steve Harris[_2_] 16-06-2011 11:43 PM

B****y squirrels

In article
,
(Rod) wrote:

Forget the trap, there'll be other squirrels and no fruit.

Depends. My experience of killing squirrels suggests that a cull can be
effective for quite a few years

Steve Harris - Cheltenham - To get my real address, remove one fruit

Rod[_5_] 17-06-2011 01:30 PM

B****y squirrels

On Jun 16, 11:43*pm, (Steve Harris)
wrote:
In article
,

(Rod) wrote:
Forget the trap, there'll be other squirrels and no fruit.

Depends. My experience of killing squirrels suggests that a cull can be
effective for quite a few years

Steve Harris - Cheltenham - To get my real address, remove one fruit

Make a simple cheap dismantleable low cage from builders' roofing
battens and wire netting. Job's done and it stays done.

Rod

'Mike'[_4_] 17-06-2011 01:48 PM

B****y squirrels

"Rod" wrote in message
On Jun 16, 11:43 pm, (Steve Harris)
wrote:
In article
,

(Rod) wrote:
Forget the trap, there'll be other squirrels and no fruit.

Depends. My experience of killing squirrels suggests that a cull can be
effective for quite a few years

Steve Harris - Cheltenham - To get my real address, remove one fruit

Make a simple cheap dismantleable low cage from builders' roofing
battens and wire netting. Job's done and it stays done.

Rod

Picture 1017 shows just that. Click on photo to enlarge

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=MUKLG34Q