GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Heated Propagators fixed or variable temp.? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/198220-re-heated-propagators-fixed-variable-temp.html)

Jeff Layman[_2_] 13-06-2011 01:46 PM

Heated Propagators fixed or variable temp.?

On 13/06/2011 13:32, Moonraker wrote:
Is the considerable extra cost for variable temperature propagators
worthwhile? Or will the fixed temperature ones be sufficient for the
non-exotic gardener?

A bit of both! I use a fixed temperature, but it appears that some
seeds germinate more reliably if the temperature is allowed to drop at
night. So I use a timer which cuts the supply for 75% of the time at
night (ie it switches on for 15 minutes every hour). Also saves a bit
on electricity.

--

Jeff