GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wasps Nest in bird box (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/198277-wasps-nest-bird-box.html)

Gordon H[_3_] 15-06-2011 04:09 PM

Wasps Nest in bird box

Hi, I haven't posted here for a long time, only growing strawberries
this year...

I am undecided what to do about a wasps nest which has appeared in one
of my camera bird boxes. It obscured the camera as soon as it was
established, so no fun watching them build.

I left it alone, and watched the wasps buzzing in and out, accepting
that it would never be a very large nest, but to my dismay it is being
extended out of the nest box hole, and I foresee it enveloping the whole
box eventually.

Should I let them be, or get it removed?
I know they are supposed to be good for the garden, but...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

MuddyMike 15-06-2011 04:16 PM

Wasps Nest in bird box

"Gordon H" wrote in message
Hi, I haven't posted here for a long time, only growing strawberries this
year...

I am undecided what to do about a wasps nest which has appeared in one of
my camera bird boxes. It obscured the camera as soon as it was
established, so no fun watching them build.

I left it alone, and watched the wasps buzzing in and out, accepting that
it would never be a very large nest, but to my dismay it is being extended
out of the nest box hole, and I foresee it enveloping the whole box
eventually.

Should I let them be, or get it removed?
I know they are supposed to be good for the garden, but...
--

I would leave them alone so long as they are not a nuisance where they are.
If you do decide to evict them set up another camera so you can show us all

Mike

'Mike'[_4_] 15-06-2011 04:17 PM

Wasps Nest in bird box

"Gordon H" wrote in message
Hi, I haven't posted here for a long time, only growing strawberries this
year...

I am undecided what to do about a wasps nest which has appeared in one of
my camera bird boxes. It obscured the camera as soon as it was
established, so no fun watching them build.

I left it alone, and watched the wasps buzzing in and out, accepting that
it would never be a very large nest, but to my dismay it is being extended
out of the nest box hole, and I foresee it enveloping the whole box
eventually.

Should I let them be, or get it removed?
I know they are supposed to be good for the garden, but...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

My wife, a gardener of many years, is allergic to wasp stings. They make the
area swell up to a dangerous state. Wasp stings ""can"" kill. And before you
all jump on me, I said ""CAN"" not ""DO"". I would therefore remove it or
have it removed ASAP if not sooner.

Interesting side track, when we were going through the Panama Canal on our
World Cruise a few years back, a swarm of Bees decided to land on the back
of one of the deck chairs. That area of the deck was sectioned off and a Bee
Keeper came on board at the other end of the Panama and removed it ;-))

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] 15-06-2011 04:22 PM

Wasps Nest in bird box

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:09:27 +0100, Gordon H wrote:

Should I let them be, or get it removed?
I know they are supposed to be good for the garden, but...

Are they going to become a nuisance? Is their flight path to/from the
nest across a route that is used a "fair bit"? As they are good for
the garden I'd leave 'em alone provided they are out of the way.

No need to get a man in to deal with it should that be required. Just
get some pyrethroid based insecticidal powder, wait for a cool
evening when they have stopped flying and liberally dust the entrance
and nest. 24 to 48 hrs later they will be dead and you can clean out
the box, marveling at their constructional skills.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Baz[_3_] 15-06-2011 04:38 PM

Wasps Nest in bird box

"MuddyMike" wrote in
om:

"Gordon H" wrote in message
Hi, I haven't posted here for a long time, only growing strawberries
this year...

I am undecided what to do about a wasps nest which has appeared in
one of my camera bird boxes. It obscured the camera as soon as it
was established, so no fun watching them build.

I left it alone, and watched the wasps buzzing in and out, accepting
that it would never be a very large nest, but to my dismay it is
being extended out of the nest box hole, and I foresee it enveloping
the whole box eventually.

Should I let them be, or get it removed?
I know they are supposed to be good for the garden, but...
--

I would leave them alone so long as they are not a nuisance where they
are. If you do decide to evict them set up another camera so you can
show us all what happened:-)

Mike

I hate swarms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKtOzR5gIHI

Wasps or bees can kill people with an alergy, so be careful.

Baz

gmb27 15-06-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon H[_3_] (Post 926883)
Hi, I haven't posted here for a long time, only growing strawberries
this year...

I am undecided what to do about a wasps nest which has appeared in one
of my camera bird boxes. It obscured the camera as soon as it was
established, so no fun watching them build.

I left it alone, and watched the wasps buzzing in and out, accepting
that it would never be a very large nest, but to my dismay it is being
extended out of the nest box hole, and I foresee it enveloping the whole
box eventually.

Should I let them be, or get it removed?
I know they are supposed to be good for the garden, but...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

I tend to agree with the first post, unless theyre causing you a problem, leave them be. They eat a lot of bugs which can damage your plants too so its a balancing act.