Old 15-06-2011, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Saplings in ditches. Whens the best time to dig them up and replant?

Lots of saplings growing in the ditches around here I noticed while
cycling. Not sure what the trees are called but they look good enough
for my plot. When would be the best time to dig them up and replant
them here?

farmers cut the ditches each year so they wont mind. Saplings range
from about 12 inches up to a few feet tall.

TIA
Old 15-06-2011, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pendrag0n" wrote

Lots of saplings growing in the ditches around here I noticed while
cycling. Not sure what the trees are called but they look good enough
for my plot. When would be the best time to dig them up and replant
them here?

farmers cut the ditches each year so they wont mind. Saplings range
from about 12 inches up to a few feet tall.

In the winter when the trees are dormant. Why not collect some seeds and
plant those.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-06-2011, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:32:51 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Pendrag0n" wrote

Lots of saplings growing in the ditches around here I noticed while
cycling. Not sure what the trees are called but they look good enough
for my plot. When would be the best time to dig them up and replant
them here?

farmers cut the ditches each year so they wont mind. Saplings range
from about 12 inches up to a few feet tall.

In the winter when the trees are dormant.

OK thanks.

Why not collect some seeds and
plant those.

Not my bag I'm afraid. I just like the idea of maybe rescuing a few.
Old 15-06-2011, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 15, 5:49*pm, Pendrag0n wrote:
Lots of saplings growing in the ditches around here I noticed while
cycling. Not sure what the trees are called but they look good enough
for my plot. When would be the best time to dig them up and replant
them here?

farmers cut the ditches each year so they wont mind. Saplings range
from about 12 inches up to a few feet tall.

TIA

You need to know what they are. May not be a good idea.
But December Jan Feb March is the time to transplant.