Old 17-06-2011, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default (OT)? Wasps Nest Advice Please.

HI haven't posted here for many months because I'm only growing
strawberries this year, but this is a kind of gardening related
matter...

I have two nest boxes fitted with cameras, neither attracted nesting
birds, but one has been taken over by wasps. I wasn't too concerned at
first, because I thought the nest would be confined to the size of the
box, and they are interesting to watch, and of course are "good for the
garden".

However, it is now expanding outside the box, and the activity is
intense.

My compassion for wild creatures is being tested, and I am considering
contacting the local authority for it's removal.

Any comments?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 17-06-2011, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gordon H
writes
HI haven't posted here for many months because I'm only growing
strawberries this year, but this is a kind of gardening related
matter...

I have two nest boxes fitted with cameras, neither attracted nesting
birds, but one has been taken over by wasps. I wasn't too concerned
at first, because I thought the nest would be confined to the size of
the box, and they are interesting to watch, and of course are "good for
the garden".

However, it is now expanding outside the box, and the activity is
intense.

My compassion for wild creatures is being tested, and I am considering
contacting the local authority for it's removal.

Any comments?

Your local authority probably won't be interested as it is not inside
your house.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 17-06-2011, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 14:01:56 +0100, hugh ] wrote:

In message , Gordon H
writes
HI haven't posted here for many months because I'm only growing
strawberries this year, but this is a kind of gardening related
matter...

I have two nest boxes fitted with cameras, neither attracted nesting
birds, but one has been taken over by wasps. I wasn't too concerned
at first, because I thought the nest would be confined to the size of
the box, and they are interesting to watch, and of course are "good for
the garden".

However, it is now expanding outside the box, and the activity is
intense.

My compassion for wild creatures is being tested, and I am considering
contacting the local authority for it's removal.

Any comments?

Your local authority probably won't be interested as it is not inside
your house.

Must be worth asking: my Council will do it (for a fee) anywhere on
the property, and I imagine many or most others will, too, since
owners are legally obliged to control recognised pests.

--
Mike.
Old 17-06-2011, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
[...]

Thanks for the comments, probably worth talking to them.
I was half expecting to by pounced upon by wasp lovers. ;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 17-06-2011, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 17:05:21 +0100, Mike Lyle
wrote:

[...]

It might be worth getting a price from your Council and also from a
contractor- look in Yellow Pages but avoid the overcharging likes of
Rentokill - as often the Council simply contract out the job and you
pay them the contractor's fee plus a Council add-on. There are plenty
of decent contractors out there who will do a proper job and give you
a guarantee to return free if they haven't totally eradicated the nest
first visit. There are also cowboys of course but you have to judge
that for yourself.

Old 17-06-2011, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/2011 19:27, Gordon H wrote:
In message , Mike Lyle
writes
[...]

I'm no lover of wasps and have always killed them on sight when they
enter the house, but after last years experience I feel a bit more
hospitable towards such creatures now. Some hornets set up a nest a
couple of yards away from the door to the house in a pile of breeze
blocks I'd got stacked up. Despite the majority of people expressing
alarm and suggesting we get the fire brigade in to exterminate the nest
I gave them the benefit of the doubt. We coexisted admirably without
incident. They are somewhat disconcerting when they buzz side to side in
front of your face warning you to back off a bit from their nest LOL but
otherwise they were quite interesting creatures. There were hardly any
flies getting into the house last year - the hornets ate them all! That
was interesting to watch too - one landed in a shrub near the nest and
literally tore off the flies head and wings then flew into the hornet's
nest with the carcass!

I'd probably give wasps the benefit of the doubt too now. I guess it
depends on your circumstances though, whether there are any children who
could likely get hurt doing something dumb like throwing something at
the nest? I got loads of wasp stings when I was a young kid accidentally
treading on an underground wasp nest, ouch, ouch and more ouches. Ever
since then I've exterminated them on sight.

Are wasps more bad tempered than hornets?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.