Old 19-06-2011, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Long-flowering plants

"Pam Moore" wrote

I think we have discussed this before but though I have selected
threads back to 1999 I cannot find this one.
What plants do urglers have which flower for a long while. So many
things are ephemeral. My Patty's Plum came into flower, but the wind
demolished the flowers in no time.
The same happerned with my wisteria, iris, etc. Go away for a few
days and you've missed them.
I want things to give colour for months. Fuchsias and clematis do a
good job.
My favourite plant is oxalis articulata. I have plants which came
from my 2 preceding gardens, and thence from my father's and
grandfather's gardens. It flowers all summer and the only attention
it needs is replanting every 5 years or so, as the new corms grow on
top of the old, thus moving nearer the surface.
Any good recommendations?

Looking around our garden....

Alstromerias are wonderful at providing colour in all but the depth of
winter, if they like the position they will bulk up, even take over or just
move around but in the nicest possible way. Come in various heights so be
careful which you buy. The two in our front garden have been there years and
coped with the last two bad winters without any sign of stress. Make
excellent cut flowers too.

The little Patio Roses seem to be always in flower for me and are no trouble
at all, quite changed my view on roses. Their size makes them suitable for
many places, even the front of a normal herbaceous border. Take a few years
to give their best.
http://www.wychcross.co.uk/section.php/10/1/patio-roses

Perennial Wallflowers also seem to be permanently in flower, at least my
yellow one does. Have to be brutal with it to keep it looking compact
though.

Tuberous Begonias stay in flower once they start but need frost free winter
protection, a shed will do, last for ever too.

Zonal Pelagoniums are the same but do need a greenhouse for the winter as
they need light.

Hibiscus syriacus are late into bloom but don't stop for a long time. Just
need a winter prune to keep in shape and can be kept quite small or made
into a hedge.

Old 19-06-2011, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
[...]

Lavetera 'Rosea' and 'Barnsley' come into flower at the start of July,
and I've seen them still flowering the following February. (Typically
they keep going until the frosts.)

Not all cultivars behave the same way - 'Bredon Springs' has a
relatively short flowering season.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 20-06-2011, 02:26 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post

Hibiscus syriacus are late into bloom but don't stop for a long time.
Just need a winter prune to keep in shape and can be kept quite small
or made into a hedge.
[/i][/color]
Lavetera 'Rosea' and 'Barnsley' come into flower at the start of July,
and I've seen them still flowering the following February. (Typically
they keep going until the frosts.)

Not all cultivars behave the same way - 'Bredon Springs' has a
relatively short flowering season.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Hardy geraniums have a long flowering season, as do nasturtiums - from us soon as you can get them to flower until they are cut down by frost.

But Stewarts post reminds me that winter flowering jasmine does pretty well ;-) - late October or early November through to April. Viburnum, bodnantense also flowers for a long time. ut neither of them around in the summer, of course.