Old 19-06-2011, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Default Long-flowering plants

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:07:39 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

I think we have discussed this before but though I have selected
threads back to 1999 I cannot find this one.
What plants do urglers have which flower for a long while. So many
things are ephemeral. My Patty's Plum came into flower, but the wind
demolished the flowers in no time.
The same happerned with my wisteria, iris, etc. Go away for a few
days and you've missed them.
I want things to give colour for months. Fuchsias and clematis do a
good job.
My favourite plant is oxalis articulata. I have plants which came
from my 2 preceding gardens, and thence from my father's and
grandfather's gardens. It flowers all summer and the only attention
it needs is replanting every 5 years or so, as the new corms grow on
top of the old, thus moving nearer the surface.
Any good recommendations?

I love feverfew, which flowers for a long time for me, but pops up all
over the garden (I don't mind this).

I'm still trying to identify a perennial cranesbill I used to have:
very long-flowering, prolific self-seeder, pale pink, some colour to
the leaves in autumn. From books I was sure it was G. sanguineum
striatum (a.k.a. lancastrense), but the seeds I bought under that name
produced much more delicate flowers than the one I foolishly failed to
bring from my old garden. A very valuable little garden plant if only
I could find another.

--
Mike.