GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pigeon Poo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/198400-pigeon-poo.html)

Rikki 21-06-2011 10:07 PM

Pigeon Poo

A local pigeon keeper has offered me pigeon droppings for my garden.
Can they be put on my allotment and when?

Mike Lyle[_1_] 21-06-2011 11:49 PM

Pigeon Poo

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 14:07:16 -0700 (PDT), Rikki
wrote:

A local pigeon keeper has offered me pigeon droppings for my garden.
Can they be put on my allotment and when?

After they've been thoroughly composted with vegetable matter. All
dung should be composted, but bird droppings are particularly brutal.
When planting out some saplings, I thoughtlessly put one where I'd
previously had a chicken house: it died in inconceivable agony.

--
Mike.

harry 22-06-2011 06:39 AM

Pigeon Poo

On Jun 21, 10:07*pm, Rikki wrote:
A local pigeon keeper has offered me pigeon droppings for my garden.
Can they be put on my allotment and when?

Compost heap is the place for them.

Rikki 24-06-2011 07:15 AM

Pigeon Poo

On 2011-06-22 10:55:24 +0100, Malcolm said:

In article
,
harry writes
On Jun 21, 10:07 pm, Rikki wrote:
A local pigeon keeper has offered me pigeon droppings for my garden.
Can they be put on my allotment and when?

Compost heap is the place for them.

Agree. Bird droppings contain the secretions of the birds' kidneys, as,
unlike mammals, they have no separate mechanism for getting rid of
urine, and can therefore be quite acidic.

Or dilute heavily in buckets of water and use as a feed.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Thank you, I'm glad I asked, you have been most helpful :)