Old 26-06-2011, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Dewstow Gardens and Grottoes

Has anyone come accross this place?
It's a new one on me.
Dewstow Gardens and Grottoes,
Caerwent, Monmouthshire, South Wales, NP26 5AH

http://www.dewstow.co.uk/gardens_home.html
Old 26-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Registered User

Location: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
Has anyone come accross this place?
It's a new one on me.
Dewstow Gardens and Grottoes,
Caerwent, Monmouthshire, South Wales, NP26 5AH

Dewstow Gardens
Thanks for pointing this place out, Dave - it looks amazing. I was going on a tour of French gardens in September but may well go to Wales instead now. Other than Dewston and Portmerion, can anyone suggest other "must - see " Welsh gardens ? Thanks.
Old 26-06-2011, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-06-26 15:54:38 +0100, islaygardener

'Dewstow Gardens' (http://tinyurl.com/3fs4vmq)

Thanks for pointing this place out, Dave - it looks amazing. I was going
on a tour of French gardens in September but may well go to Wales
instead now. Other than Dewston and Portmerion, can anyone suggest other
"must - see " Welsh gardens ? Thanks.

Never been there but - Bodnant? Botanic garden? Veddw - which we are going
to soon. Roy Strong's The Laskett, just in Herefordshire.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Bodnant is a hefty day's walking so be prepared.

Bill

Old 26-06-2011, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-06-26 15:54:38 +0100, islaygardener
said:

Dave Hill;927950 Wrote:
Has anyone come accross this place?
It's a new one on me.
Dewstow Gardens and Grottoes,
Caerwent, Monmouthshire, South Wales, NP26 5AH

'Dewstow Gardens' (http://tinyurl.com/3fs4vmq)
Thanks for pointing this place out, Dave - it looks amazing. I was going
on a tour of French gardens in September but may well go to Wales
instead now. Other than Dewston and Portmerion, can anyone suggest other
"must - see " Welsh gardens ? Thanks.

Never been there but - Bodnant? Botanic garden? Veddw - which we are
going to soon. Roy Strong's The Laskett, just in Herefordshire.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Bodnant is a hefty day's walking so be prepared.

Bill

Whereas Ventnor Botanic Gardens here on the Isle of Wight are far more
gentle ;-)

Mike

May you ' Rust in Peace' before you start the 'Countdown to Extinction'

Old 26-06-2011, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

On 2011-06-26 15:54:38 +0100, islaygardener
said:

Dave Hill;927950 Wrote:
[...]

Do you have the semblace of a brain ??

If you can't contribute with a sensible comment then bugger off.

Bill

Old 26-06-2011, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

On 2011-06-26 15:54:38 +0100, islaygardener
said:

Dave Hill;927950 Wrote:
[...]

ANOTHER owner. god how many can this newsgroup/forum stand?

Rather like the EU, too many chiefs and not enough Indians ;-((

Old 27-06-2011, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:01:27 +0100, "Bill Grey"

On 2011-06-26 15:54:38 +0100, islaygardener
said:

Dave Hill;927950 Wrote:
Has anyone come accross this place?
It's a new one on me.
Dewstow Gardens and Grottoes,
Caerwent, Monmouthshire, South Wales, NP26 5AH

'Dewstow Gardens' (http://tinyurl.com/3fs4vmq)
Thanks for pointing this place out, Dave - it looks amazing. I was going
on a tour of French gardens in September but may well go to Wales
instead now. Other than Dewston and Portmerion, can anyone suggest other
"must - see " Welsh gardens ? Thanks.

Never been there but - Bodnant? Botanic garden? Veddw - which we are going
to soon. Roy Strong's The Laskett, just in Herefordshire.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Bodnant is a hefty day's walking so be prepared.

The National Bot Gardens at Middleton, near Carmarthen, are a delight.
The Norman Foster glasshouse is worth a visit in its own right.

Plus fine uncrowded beaches, superb fishing, castles galore, if you
want to stay in the area; or a fine stopover on the way to and from
Ireland.

--
Mike.
Old 27-06-2011, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-06-26 15:54:38 +0100, islaygardener
said:

Dave Hill;927950 Wrote:
[...]

Aslo only a couple of miles from the Botanic gardens is Aberglasney House.
This is a garden that has been "re-discovered" and the work has been carried
out in excellent fashion.

www.aberglasney.org/

Bill

Old 27-06-2011, 01:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2011-06-26 15:54:38 +0100, islaygardener
said:

Dave Hill;927950 Wrote:
Has anyone come accross this place?
It's a new one on me.
Dewstow Gardens and Grottoes,
Caerwent, Monmouthshire, South Wales, NP26 5AH
'Dewstow Gardens' (http://tinyurl.com/3fs4vmq)

Thanks for pointing this place out, Dave - it looks amazing. I was going
on a tour of French gardens in September but may well go to Wales
instead now. Other than Dewston and Portmerion, can anyone suggest other
"must - see " Welsh gardens ? Thanks.

Never been there but - Bodnant? Botanic garden? Veddw - which we are
going to soon. Roy Strong's The Laskett, just in Herefordshire.

Powis Castle. (Depending on how badly it's been hit by the last two hard
winters; it had a lot of tender plants on south facing terraces.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 27-06-2011, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2011-06-26 15:54:38 +0100, islaygardener
said:

Dave Hill;927950 Wrote:
Has anyone come accross this place?
It's a new one on me.
Dewstow Gardens and Grottoes,
Caerwent, Monmouthshire, South Wales, NP26 5AH
'Dewstow Gardens' (http://tinyurl.com/3fs4vmq)
Thanks for pointing this place out, Dave - it looks amazing. I was going
on a tour of French gardens in September but may well go to Wales
instead now. Other than Dewston and Portmerion, can anyone suggest other
"must - see " Welsh gardens ? Thanks.

Never been there but - Bodnant? Botanic garden? Veddw - which we are going
to soon. Roy Strong's The Laskett, just in Herefordshire.

Powis Castle. (Depending on how badly it's been hit by the last two hard
winters; it had a lot of tender plants on south facing terraces.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Yes indeed, Powis Cstle is certainly worth a visit - again I hope you're
fit. The terrace mentioned is formdable if you decide to descend to the
bottom . I don't wish to worry folk by mentioning the physical demands of
Powis Castle and Bodnant, but it is something to remember if any one going
there has fitness issues.

Bill

Old 26-06-2011, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Has anyone come accross this place?
It's a new one on me.
Dewstow Gardens and Grottoes,
Caerwent, Monmouthshire, South Wales, NP26 5AH

http://www.dewstow.co.uk/gardens_home.html

Yes Dave, our Gardenng Club viisted visited the gardens last year. Well
worth going there and its history is very interesting.

Contact me by e-mail if you like and I'll send you a CD of photos I took
there put together in a slide show presentation.

Bill