GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Anyone have the flying ants invasion yesterday? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/198536-anyone-have-flying-ants-invasion-yesterday.html)

Mentalguy2k8[_2_] 28-06-2011 03:00 PM

Anyone have the flying ants invasion yesterday?

Quite a few here on the South Coast yesterday afternoon, but nothing like as
many as last year, thankfully.

Robert Harvey 28-06-2011 03:23 PM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:04:13 +0100, Sacha wrote:
Quite a few here on the South Coast yesterday afternoon, but nothing
like as many as last year, thankfully.

We've seen a very few but didn't see any last year.

My Daughter reported she had lots on Sunday.

--
Bob Harvey OETKB

Phil Cook 28-06-2011 03:33 PM

On 2011-06-28 15:00:31 +0100, said:

Quite a few here on the South Coast yesterday afternoon, but nothing
like as many as last year, thankfully.

We've seen a very few but didn't see any last year. I never know if
flying ants and ordinary ants are two different species, or if flying
ants are ants that have developed wings to go and find a new nest site!

Flying ants are ordinary ants, just a different caste. They are the
males and females that get to do a nuptial flight. After they have done
it the males die and the females start a new colony.

I DO know that once you get ants inside an old wall or something of
that sort, you have them forever!

There are poisons that kill whole colonies.
--
Phil Cook

Chris J Dixon 28-06-2011 03:40 PM

On 2011-06-28 15:00:31 +0100, said:

I DO know that once you get ants inside an old wall or something of
that sort, you have them forever!

There are poisons that kill whole colonies.

Generally available?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Phil Cook 28-06-2011 04:03 PM

http://www.vitax.co.uk/index.php/area/pest-control/ants-crawling-insects/nippon-ant-killer-liquid/

or http://tinyurl.com/6l9sgkt

--
Phil Cook

Mike Lyle[_1_] 28-06-2011 04:27 PM

Anyone have the flying ants invasion yesterday?

On 2011-06-28 15:00:31 +0100, said:

Quite a few here on the South Coast yesterday afternoon, but nothing
like as many as last year, thankfully.

We've seen a very few but didn't see any last year. I never know if
flying ants and ordinary ants are two different species, or if flying
ants are ants that have developed wings to go and find a new nest site!

Flying ants are ordinary ants, just a different caste. They are the
males and females that get to do a nuptial flight. After they have done
it the males die and the females start a new colony.

Some tropical species are edible. In the Sudan, the trick is to make a
fire by the mouth of the nest, so the ants are simultaneously lightly
grilled and dewinged, so they crash conveniently.

I DO know that once you get ants inside an old wall or something of
that sort, you have them forever!

There are poisons that kill whole colonies.

--
Mike.

Chris J Dixon 28-06-2011 05:23 PM

Phil Cook wrote:

There are poisons that kill whole colonies.

Generally available?

http://www.vitax.co.uk/index.php/area/pest-control/ants-crawling-insects/nippon-ant-killer-liquid/

or http://tinyurl.com/6l9sgkt

I never found it particularly effective. Certainly didn't
eradicate them.

Chris

Jake 28-06-2011 05:58 PM

Anyone have the flying ants invasion yesterday?

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:00:31 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

Quite a few here on the South Coast yesterday afternoon, but nothing like as
many as last year, thankfully.

I'd have thought it was a bit early for "flying day" - you know that
day when every ants nest in the country manages a co-ordinated
explosion of flyers.

But that said, this year ants have been surprisingly thin on the
ground here. I've only found one smallish nest in a lawn - usually
I'll have got through a few tubes of ant powder by now. I've also been
very low on green- and black-fly this year - I wonder if there's some
relationship, given that ants farm aphids.

Lots of ladybirds and hoverflies though.

Bob Hobden 28-06-2011 06:39 PM

Anyone have the flying ants invasion yesterday?

"Chris J Dixon" wrote ..

Phil Cook wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Phil Cook wrote:

There are poisons that kill whole colonies.

Generally available?

http://www.vitax.co.uk/index.php/area/pest-control/ants-crawling-insects/nippon-ant-killer-liquid/

or http://tinyurl.com/6l9sgkt

I never found it particularly effective. Certainly didn't
eradicate them.

I found it had to be fresh Nippon liquid, even if it had just been in the
shop for a while it seems to loose it's killing power.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Spider[_3_] 28-06-2011 10:15 PM

On 28/06/2011 15:00, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Quite a few here on the South Coast yesterday afternoon, but nothing
like as many as last year, thankfully.

Not seen them flying yet, but lifted a brick yesterday and found flying
ants among the wingless, so it won't be long now.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Phil Cook 29-06-2011 03:04 PM

On 2011-06-28 18:39:44 +0100, "Bob said:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote ..

Phil Cook wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Phil Cook wrote:

There are poisons that kill whole colonies.

Generally available?

http://www.vitax.co.uk/index.php/area/pest-control/ants-crawling-insects/nippon-ant-killer-liquid/

or

http://tinyurl.com/6l9sgkt

I never found it particularly effective. Certainly didn't
eradicate them.

I found it had to be fresh Nippon liquid, even if it had just been in
the shop for a while it seems to loose it's killing power.

Whenever I've used Nippon I always had the impression the ants threw a party!

That's the point. it's a sugar syrup with a poison in it that the
foragers take back to the nest and feed to the other ants. It helps to
remove all other food sources so they are just getting the special stuff.
--
Phil Cook

Stephen Wolstenholme 29-06-2011 06:22 PM

wrote:

Quite a few here on the South Coast yesterday afternoon, but nothing like as
many as last year, thankfully.

I haven't seen any this year. It's usually quite interesting to watch
so I don't try to kill them. I suppose that makes me a bit odd!

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Planner Software www.NPSL1.com

Mike Lyle[_1_] 29-06-2011 06:48 PM

Anyone have the flying ants invasion yesterday?

On 2011-06-28 18:39:44 +0100, "Bob said:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote ..

Phil Cook wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Phil Cook wrote:

There are poisons that kill whole colonies.

Generally available?

http://www.vitax.co.uk/index.php/area/pest-control/ants-crawling-insects/nippon-ant-killer-liquid/

or

http://tinyurl.com/6l9sgkt

I never found it particularly effective. Certainly didn't
eradicate them.

I found it had to be fresh Nippon liquid, even if it had just been in
the shop for a while it seems to loose it's killing power.

Whenever I've used Nippon I always had the impression the ants threw a party!

That's the point. it's a sugar syrup with a poison in it that the
foragers take back to the nest and feed to the other ants. It helps to
remove all other food sources so they are just getting the special stuff.

I think the poison is borax. I've found it a bit hit-and-miss: I
wonder if there's more skill and savvy involved in using it than meets
the eye.

--
Mike.