GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chickens eating potato plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/198560-chickens-eating-potato-plants.html)

No Name 29-06-2011 02:53 PM

Chickens eating potato plants

I'm not particularly bothered what happens to the plants, we have tonnes of
potatoes growing, but I'm a bit worried that hte chickens are munching
through what I had assumed are poisonous plants, put up as a barrier to stop
them coming down the steps.

Can chickens eat potato foliage or should I remove them?
(I always thought they had one of those "know not to eat them" things about
them, but they were also eating bluebells, which I think are also
poisonous)

Derek Turner 29-06-2011 02:59 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 13:53:53 +0000, vicky wrote:

but they were also eating bluebells, which I think are also
poisonous)

poisonous to mammals poisonous to birds

No Name 29-06-2011 03:06 PM

Derek Turner wrote:
but they were also eating bluebells, which I think are also
poisonous)

poisonous to mammals poisonous to birds

Not /necessarily/ poisonous to. Which is why I'm asking for confirmation.

Jake 29-06-2011 04:25 PM

On 29 Jun 2011 14:06:16 GMT, wrote:

Derek Turner wrote:
but they were also eating bluebells, which I think are also
poisonous)

poisonous to mammals poisonous to birds

Not /necessarily/ poisonous to. Which is why I'm asking for confirmation.

I don't know if your chickens would class themselves as "exotic" but
the following link relates to exotic birds and indicates that the
foliage of potatoes and other plants is poisonous. Hope this helps.

http://www.exoticbird.com/toxicfood.html

Drobium 29-06-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Name (Post 928439)
I'm not particularly bothered what happens to the plants, we have tonnes of
potatoes growing, but I'm a bit worried that hte chickens are munching
through what I had assumed are poisonous plants, put up as a barrier to stop
them coming down the steps.

Can chickens eat potato foliage or should I remove them?
(I always thought they had one of those "know not to eat them" things about
them, but they were also eating bluebells, which I think are also
poisonous)

--

We always throw our potato peelings for our chucks, they do like to eat them sometimes but not always.
They do eat some weird things though, we have ivy growing all the way down one side of our chicken run and they love the stuff and have cleared all the leaves off to around 18" high!!

Christina Websell 29-06-2011 08:06 PM

wrote in message
I'm not particularly bothered what happens to the plants, we have tonnes
of
potatoes growing, but I'm a bit worried that hte chickens are munching
through what I had assumed are poisonous plants, put up as a barrier to
stop
them coming down the steps.

Can chickens eat potato foliage or should I remove them?
(I always thought they had one of those "know not to eat them" things
about
them, but they were also eating bluebells, which I think are also
poisonous)

--

Both plants will not do them much good. I would advise removing your
chickens from where the plants are.

Robert Harvey 29-06-2011 09:10 PM

Chickens eating potato plants

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 18:18:25 +0200, Martin wrote:
I await the potato plants eat chickens thread.

The way the modern world is, I'd sometimes welcome an outbreak of triffids

--
Bob Harvey OETKB

No Name 30-06-2011 12:32 PM

Martin wrote:
poisonous to mammals poisonous to birds

Not /necessarily/ poisonous to. Which is why I'm asking for confirmation.

Are they dead chickens?

Not /yet/.

I await the potato plants eat chickens thread.

:-)

No Name 30-06-2011 12:34 PM

Christina Websell wrote:
Both plants will not do them much good. I would advise removing your
chickens from where the plants are.

The potato plants are in pots, so it's easier to remove the plants. :-)
I'll find another way of barriering, looks like this isn't ideal.

Thanks.