Old 05-07-2011, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to destroy wasp nest?

There's a wasps' nest in my garden - a hole (maybe two, close together) on
a sloping section of rough lawn. On two visits to Homebase a fortnight
apart they had no stocks of their 'Wasp nest killer', £5.99, or indeed
*any* wasp destruction product. Meanwhile it struck me that there must be
several ways I should be able to do this myself. So I'm here to seek
suggestions please.

My own initial thoughts a

1. Put a plastic bag and a something heavy over the top to suffocate and
prevent entry.

2. Pour fine sand or similar into the hole, with same objective.

3. Position a hose over the hole and trickle water into it to drown
inhabitants and presumably make re-entry of others unlikely, even after
hose switched off and water drains away.

4. Stuff some dry newspaper into the hole, douse it with paraffin and
light it, with similar comments to #3.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Old 05-07-2011, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Terry Pinnell wrote:

There's a wasps' nest in my garden - a hole (maybe two, close
together) on a sloping section of rough lawn. On two visits to
Homebase a fortnight apart they had no stocks of their 'Wasp nest
killer', £5.99, or indeed any wasp destruction product. Meanwhile it
struck me that there must be several ways I should be able to do this
myself. So I'm here to seek suggestions please.

My own initial thoughts a

1. Put a plastic bag and a something heavy over the top to suffocate
and prevent entry.

2. Pour fine sand or similar into the hole, with same objective.

3. Position a hose over the hole and trickle water into it to drown
inhabitants and presumably make re-entry of others unlikely, even
after hose switched off and water drains away.

4. Stuff some dry newspaper into the hole, douse it with paraffin and
light it, with similar comments to #3.

Well, no. 4 sounds the most fun!

--
Chris
Old 05-07-2011, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
news
[...]

1) They will find a way in and out.

2) As above

3) They will still get by the water

4) The paper burns UP and not down into the hole

3) and 4) Been there done that, missed the wasp stings ;-)

Get a Wasp and Fly Spray from somewhere and direct it into the hole and RUN

Mike

Old 05-07-2011, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CT" wrote in message
Terry Pinnell wrote:

[...]

At my last garden which was big and wild in places, I had underground wasp
nests and tried that! As I explained in another answer, it flames UP, so if
you want to try it ....................... get a very long match.

Still won't work ;-)

Mike

Old 05-07-2011, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Terry I would add a few pointers for your consideration, and these are from
experience.

Once you start 'messing about' at the hole of the nest, the wasps will get
angry and might sting anything near ............. you.

Some people, my wife is one, are allergic to wasp stings and swell up like a
balloon where stung. Dangerous of stung in the vicinity of a ring, bracelet
etc.

Wasp stings CAN and HAVE killed.

They might look as if they are going about their business in a normal way
around a hole, but you watch if they are disturbed.

Mike

Old 05-07-2011, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 08:59:39 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

There's a wasps' nest in my garden - a hole (maybe two, close together)
on a sloping section of rough lawn.

Are they causing a nuisance? If not leave 'em alone they will be
doing you garden good by being predators.

If you must destroy them contact with paraffin, without ignition,
will kill them. Most ant powders will as well (read the label),
liberally dust the entrance holes in the late evening when activity
has died down.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 08:59:39 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

There's a wasps' nest in my garden - a hole (maybe two, close together)
on a sloping section of rough lawn.

Are they causing a nuisance? If not leave 'em alone they will be
doing you garden good by being predators.

If you must destroy them contact with paraffin, without ignition,
will kill them. Most ant powders will as well (read the label),
liberally dust the entrance holes in the late evening when activity
has died down.

Dave is right that poison is the only effective way to get rid of them. Also
the only sensible and safe time to do it is dusk when the entire nest will
be in for the night and none of them will be able to emerge without going
through the liberal powdering you will give the entrance. A beekeeper's veil
is handy.

Tim W

Old 05-07-2011, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Put a bowl of water near to the nest so that the wasps get into the
habit of using it. Then add a drop of insecticide per litre of water
every day until the wasps abandon the nest.

Steve

Old 05-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim W[_2_] View Post
Also the only sensible and safe time to do it is dusk when the entire nest will be in for the night and none of them will be able to emerge without going through the liberal powdering you will give the entrance. A beekeeper's veil is handy.
The later at night the better. I have found them continuing to be rather active immediately on nightfall, but activity has fallen away by about 11pm or midnight, though even then there are a few coming in and out.

My previous house had cavity walls and I occasionally got nests in the wall cavity. I successfully killed off one nest just by blocking their entrance with polyfilla. That was in a wall that rose from a concrete floor, the only nearby window having a masonary sill. Also I think I got that one fairly early. Another nest in a wall rising from a suspended floor and close to a window with a wooden sill, and I think had got to a fair size before I noticed it. When I blocked the hole they started gnawing through the windowsill - noisily - and I could see them down the cracks. And a few started coming up through cracks in the floorboards. I had to reopen the main entrance hole and use poison at night.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , 'Mike'
writes

Get a Wasp and Fly Spray from somewhere and direct it into the hole and RUN

Mike

They had them in ALDI last week, I got one, but haven't used it because
they are in a nest box and have made no sign of bothering me.

In fat I rescued one from the grass box of my Flymo the other day and it
flew gratefully off.

The instructions on the aerosol can, which can be used from 3 metres,
includes the words: "You may like to consider wearing appropriate
protective clothing"! Yes indeed!
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 05-07-2011, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Terry Pinnell wrote:
There's a wasps' nest in my garden - a hole (maybe two, close
together) on a sloping section of rough lawn. On two visits to
Homebase a fortnight apart they had no stocks of their 'Wasp nest
killer', £5.99, or indeed *any* wasp destruction product. Meanwhile
it struck me that there must be several ways I should be able to do
this myself. So I'm here to seek suggestions please.

My own initial thoughts a

1. Put a plastic bag and a something heavy over the top to suffocate
and prevent entry.

2. Pour fine sand or similar into the hole, with same objective.

3. Position a hose over the hole and trickle water into it to drown
inhabitants and presumably make re-entry of others unlikely, even
after hose switched off and water drains away.

4. Stuff some dry newspaper into the hole, douse it with paraffin and
light it, with similar comments to #3.

You will need a large vat and several pounds of cotton wool. Fill the vat
with one part nitric acid to three parts sulphuric acid; when fully mixed,
add the cotton wool. Leave for 24 hours.

Remove the cotton wool from the acids and place in a bath of water; then
wash thoroughly in running water. Now dry it thoroughly- an unventilated
steel shed is ideal for this. When it is thoroughly dry, have your least
favourite child pack the cotton wool into the wasp nest hole and then apply
a naked flame at arms length.

The ensuing explosion will spread angry wasps to every corner of your
garden, but will also destroy the nest; now homeless, they will lapse into
depression, become addicted to drink and drugs and die.

The remains of the least favoured child may be disposed of either in the
remaining acid, or the crater, as is most convenient.

Ian

Old 05-07-2011, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 5, 8:59*am, Terry Pinnell wrote:
[...]

Best left alone, they are benificial, eat lots of garden pests.

Tch. Pour petrol down the hole and block it off. DON'T set on fire.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B" wrote in message
You will need a large vat and several pounds of cotton wool. Fill the vat
with one part nitric acid to three parts sulphuric acid; when fully mixed,
add the cotton wool. Leave for 24 hours.
Remove the cotton wool from the acids and place in a bath of water; then
wash thoroughly in running water. Now dry it thoroughly- an unventilated
steel shed is ideal for this. When it is thoroughly dry, have your least
favourite child pack the cotton wool into the wasp nest hole and then
apply a naked flame at arms length.

DO NOT EVEN JOKE ABOUT MAKING NITROGLYCERINE.

THE MIXING PROCESS OF THE ACIDS ITSELF IS HIGHLY DANGEROUS IF
THE TEMPERATURE RISES.

DO *NOT*, I REPEAT *NOT* FOLLOW THIS GUIDANCE.

IN ANY CASE, YOU WILL BE COMMITTING A SERIOUS CRIMINAL
OFFENCE IF YOU ATTEMPT ANY OF THE ABOVE.

Another wasp nest Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 8 17-08-2008 09:29 PM
Finding a wasp's nest The Filers Lawns 5 24-10-2003 07:02 AM
Wasp nest between watercourse and public right of way. What to do? Nic O'Demus United Kingdom 23 07-10-2003 08:03 PM
bee/wasp/hornet/?? Nest Martin R. Soderstrom Gardening 4 16-04-2003 07:44 PM