GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Kalopanax or "Prickly Castor Oil Tree" regrowth (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/198806-kalopanax-prickly-castor-oil-tree-regrowth.html)

Emery Davis[_3_] 11-07-2011 04:41 PM

Kalopanax or "Prickly Castor Oil Tree" regrowth

Hoping someone will have some experience with this one.

I have a Kalopanax pictus var maximowizcii (ex Kalopanax septumlobus)
which has suffered greatly in the drought. It has been established for
around 5 years and is maybe 3 m tall, but still has a fairly small (and
thorny) trunk diameter. It put on about 2 feet of growth early and
looked quite good, but has since shed leaves on most of the upper part
of the tree. We've had a little rain but it's still very dry -- I just
dug up a suffering Acer erianthum and the ground was like rock -- so I
have been watering it.

The question is am I likely to see regrowth of leaves on the now naked
part, it being still early, or will I now probably lose that part of the
tree?

Thanks,

-E

Jeff Layman[_2_] 11-07-2011 07:37 PM

On 11/07/2011 16:41, Emery Davis wrote:
Hoping someone will have some experience with this one.

I have a Kalopanax pictus var maximowizcii (ex Kalopanax septumlobus)
which has suffered greatly in the drought. It has been established for
around 5 years and is maybe 3 m tall, but still has a fairly small (and
thorny) trunk diameter. It put on about 2 feet of growth early and
looked quite good, but has since shed leaves on most of the upper part
of the tree. We've had a little rain but it's still very dry -- I just
dug up a suffering Acer erianthum and the ground was like rock -- so I
have been watering it.

The question is am I likely to see regrowth of leaves on the now naked
part, it being still early, or will I now probably lose that part of the
tree?

Thanks,

You could try emailing the holder of the National Collection of
Araliaceae. Address can be found on this webpage:
http://www.ngs.org.uk/gardens/garden....aspx?id=16912

This is an excellent garden with a very helpful owner.

--

Jeff

Emery Davis[_3_] 12-07-2011 10:40 AM

On 07/11/2011 08:37 PM, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jeff, I may do that.

Went to water it last night and noticed that the moles -- uncatchable
this year -- have dug up all around and through the mulch. Of course
where there's moisture, that's where the worms go I expect. They've
been busy at this everywhere that's been watered this year, which of
course means any new planting.

-E